Friday, July 28, 2006

Ramblings of a First Time Parent


Ryder's First pro ballgame was a disappointment as the Blue Jays went down in ugly defeat to the A's. He has yet to get over it.


So I have been in the parenting business for all of 12 days now. Wow. Moreover, Jenny and I are parenting without adult supervision. Scary. We have remarked to each other how they just let us leave the hospital... no crash course in parenting, no background check, they just let us go. It was almost too easy! So, Jenny and I are still in the stage where everything is so new, and so cute. Crying baby? Awww he's so cute. Poopy baby? Look at that, awwww. Baby just peed all over my Sunday clothes? Awww, how cute- he has such good aim. Yes to the experienced parent we are pathetic, but I think that our ignorance is endearing. Here are some observations from the past week and a half that I have made as the Father of the bestest baby in the whole wide world:

- Meconium is for real folks... believe the hype. Stickiest substance know to man, At least it doesn't stink.
- No food, no love. Ryder has quickly developed his own version of the caste system. There are two distinct social classes in our house- the feeder and the burper. As a nonlactating male I have been labelled as a burper. I am a hindrance to the cause, the dregs of humanity in his little system. I am the one who prolongs the agony of his three hour fast by trying to console him while buying time for the showering feeder. We have an understanding though- he is aware that I can't give him what he wants and most of the time he respects that and even looks past it.
- Yes food, no sleep. Ryder is actually a great sleeper. He eats before bed, has a night cap at about 2:30 and usually holds off until I get up at 6-6:30. I say he eats at 2:30 but I have only witnessed it twice. I am a heavy sleeper and sleep right through little Prince Ryder's late night announcement that he is ready for the feeder to do her thing. Being a burper has its perks.
- The demand for Pee-Pee Teepees. For a gift, a friend from my class gave us a package of what looked like little party hats. The package read, "Pee-pee teepees for the sprinkling wee-wee". I thought that it was cute but non-functional, a novelty gift of sorts. WRONG. I guess thats why I am the burper. I didn't realize the indisdriminate spraying that takes place when the diapers drop. Couch, shirt, bed, pants, feeder, nothing and no one is safe nor out of range when this little guys sets his mind to it.
- This is way too awesome. He is so special. I would gladly volunteer to be the burper throughout all eternity just to be a part of this. I am in awe at the responsibility that Jenny and I have to raise this little boy, to teach him principles that will ensure his happiness and success. I am overwhelemed with thoughts of what I need to do to change and be a better example for him. This has been the biggest decision that Jenny and I have made as husband and wife- it has also been the best.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't have a chance to mention it before, but congratulations Todd and Jenny. Though, I suppose it would be more appropriate to say "congratulations Jenny and Todd." Afterall, she did have to do that whole labor and delivery thing. By the way, Todd, I am glad that you are content with your relegation to the role of burper. I've been burping my whole life and it is always beautiful to see the art and tradition passed on to yet another generation. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Cami claims I'm not being specific enough, I mean that I am the one doing the burping. Just thought I'd clarify

Anonymous said...

And by that I mean I am belching. Myself. The burps are coming out of my own mouth. That should be clear enough.