Karma Sucks. Let me preface today's post with this: I have officially called off the press conference where I was going to forego my last two years of dental school and declare myself eligible for the NBA draft. SO, last Monday night I
should have been at home enjoying a Family Home Evening Lesson with my trophy wife and the manchild,
but instead I was playing intramural basketball down at the school. With three minutes left in the half, I pulled down a rebound and fired an outlet pass to a teammate and then started running up the court. What I didn't see (as I blazed down the court) was that the guy who was running at full speed to defend me had tripped when he tried to stop after I gave up the ball. He hit the inside surface of my knee and sent me sprawling. As I was floating through the air, I had one of those surreal moments when 3 seconds seems to take 3 minutes to play out. My initial thought was... hmm, something feels wrong. A slow-mo glance at my left leg confirmed the 'wrong' diagnosis--the blow had dislocated my patella (kneecap) and instead of being in the middle of my knee it was displaced all the way over on the outside. Suddenly, a series of random thoughts flashed through my mind, from '
crap, I forgot my phone to call Jenny' to '
insurance... do I have that?' to '
I don't have a legal will!' to '
does anyone have a camera here to get this on some 'Best Sports Injuries' video or 'Scarred' or something?' The surreal moment ended when I hit the ground and the impact knocked the kneecap most of the way back to its original place. Then I yelped like a little girl. Because the kneecap wasn't all the way back and nobody seemed to have a clue what to do I reached down, wiggled (yes, wiggled) my leg and >pop< it resumed its appropriate anatomical position.
Apparently, the gym has a policy where an injury like mine requires a call to the paramedics and a trip to the ER. For those of you not familiar with UCSF, as a health sciences exclusive university, the gym is right across the street from the hospital. As you can imagine, I wasn't very impressed as the two paramedics wheeled me out of the gym on a gurney, loaded me into the ambulance that was waiting on the curb, flipped a U-turn and turned into the ER entrance. Not long after I was dumped in the ER hallway, Jenny walked in with the usual
fanfare (when Jenny walks in a room everyone stops what they are doing, wags their tongues, ogles and then resumes their work with a '
man I wish she were mine' look on their face. Serious. Look for it next time you are out with her) and gave me the '
aren't you pathethic- but cute' smile. We waited for quite a while, long enough to designate best and worst candidates to be UCSF's McDreamy and McSteamy, took some X-rays and finally got someone to see me. It was determined that all my ligaments were sound and that it was only a dislocation of the patella with some muscle and connective tissue tearing. I was sent home with crutches and a knee immobilization brace. Now I am immobilized for 3-5 weeks and a week behind 24 right before the season finale. Stupid. Monday nights are special, I should have stayed home.

The first couple days the knee swelled up pretty big- It was starting to look like Ryder's knees where there is no discernable kneecap. Then it started changing colors like New England in the Fall. Today the bruise extends from my groin to just beyond the kneecap but I thought that I would spare you that picture.
(this just in: San Francisco was not laid out with people on crutches in mind)
11 comments:
Oh my goodness, that looks terrible! I bet you'll never skip out on family home evening again! Sorry you have to be on crutches. Seriously let me help you out by bringing you dinner on Thursday.
Well, Todd, I don't think I need to say this, buuuuut, I think you learned your lesson.
Todd you poor thing! (Even though the situation stinks I'm sure you like it when people say "Todd you poor thing!") FYI-Fox.com has the last couple of episodes of 24 online so you can catch up!! Hope it gets better soon!
Ouch! Somehow that scares me more than giving birth at the end of this summer. I've really never been very good at contact sports, but don't tell anyone who played church basketball in the Merced, CA stake....
Sorry about your knee, that totally stinks. Tell your wife thanks for coming and visiting us while she was here at Women's Conference! :) Tell the family hello for me!
Annie Horne
OUCH!
that's all I have to say...just ouch.
Does anybody else think Todd just wanted an excuse to post a picture of his thigh on his blog?
I'm right there with you, Cami. I more than agree. :) Oh, and Jen... how about spaghetti and meatballs on Thursday.... say, around 5:30 or 6? (hee hee)
That is nasty. Take care of yourself. Oh by the way I have seen you play basketball so an injury like this for you really does not surprise me. Later dude
Ok, Hi I am Tiffany Price (Hunt Now) I was so excited to find your blog. I went to EA with Todd. We also were in the M.T.C together. You two are the cutest family! Just thought I would leave a note and say HELLO!
Hey Todd! I love your humour! And I love how cute you are towards your wife...she's a lucky girl! But crappy about the knee! Anyways, get better soon. 4 weeks we're having our first baby so I'm sure I'll be posting about the "injury" I'm going to have soon! Talk to you later!
Post a Comment