Friday, September 28, 2007

WANTED: a 'not-too-fast,' 'not-too-slow' running partner

So for family home evening last Monday, Todd, Ryder and I went for a run along Crissy Field. For those of you not familiar with the SF area, Crissy Field is a strip of grass/beach along the bay side of the Golden Gate Bridge. It has gorgeous views of the city, bay and both main bridges... and the evenings are especially gorgeous at sunset.

Anyway - halfway through our run we stopped to give Ryder a break from his jogger, and Todd took him down to see the water. I decided to make use of the time and do some lunges/squats not too far off from the pair. Well, as I started my thing, around the corner comes some shabby looking man. The conversation went something like this:
Shabby Man: "So, you're on a run, huh?"

Me: 'Yep.'

SM: 'I'm glad you're doing stretches. Stretching is really important.'

Me: 'Yep.'

SM: 'Where did you run from?'

Me: 'Um, the army base at the foot of the bridge.'

SM: 'That's a good run. It's a good thing you're stretching. Stretching is really important.'

He then proceeded to walk away and talk to some other girls passing by. In the meantime, I continued with my so-called 'stretches.' And then he returned.

SM: 'It's really good you're stretching."

Me: 'Ya.'

SM: 'So, do you want to go on a run together?'

Me: 'No thanks, I'm here with my husband and son.'
(pointing over in Todd's direction - while Todd is giving me a combined nasty/questionable look.)

SM: 'Oh, oh... sorry. So Sorry.................... Cute kid.'

And he left.

Todd immediately informed me I had two choices... and two choices only. I could either:

A) Gain 60 pounds and start wearing baggy shirts and shorts and continue running by myself.
- OR -
B) Run with a partner - either him or a friend.

I tried to reason with him - giving all sorts of promises, but to no avail. Hence the title of this post. I'm in need of a running mate. I'm not hard core by ANY MEANS and don't have a set schedule at all. It's just a good way for me to get outside and get some exercise while giving joy to a little boy named Ryder. So - let me know if you're ever up for a jog sometime.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

if i were there, i would!:) i need a running partner too!

Nancy said...

I think our husbands are two of a kind. Whenever any shabby looking men get within five feet of me, I can see the wheels in Brad's head turning...

"I could take him..."

"If he grabs her, I'm throat-checking him..."

I know for a fact that he has thought these things, too, because he has told me so.

Good luck finding a running partner! If you can't find anyone, I am up for brisk walks. Easier on the knees. :)

Anjanette said...

I'm afraid I'd never make a good running partner with you. Your strides are WAY too long when we walk, let alone run. Good luck finding a tall(er) partner.

Dan and Ashley said...

Jenny, I would LOVE to go running with you. Here's the thing....I'm a little out of shape from prenancy and I have a foot injury that I'm trying to work through, BUT....give me a month or two and I'll see if I can't get myself in better condition and I would be thrilled to have someone to run/jog with. So I'll check up with you in a few weeks and see where I'm at--I don't want to slow you down and I definitely would!!! But in the meantime, if you ever want to go on a fast-paced walk I would be more than happy to tag along! :)

Cara said...

I would love to go on a run with you. I enjoyed going once before with you, but I agree with the other comment, you do have a long stride (it doesn't help that I have short legs!)--double whammy! But, really I would love to go running with you again. I'm going out of town this week, but let's plan a day to go when I get back.

Jen said...

I am tying my running shoes as I read this, getting ready to go on a run with you. Glad we are on the same page, although I'm not sure I would be as good of a partner as the guy at Chrissy Field.

Mikey, Randi, and Gracie said...

ok, that is the funniest post ever.

cameron said...

I NEED A RUNNER PARTNER TOO...OR A GYM ONE...I'VE HAD SOME NUTS APPROACH ME AS WELL...GRRR....

Wiseguys said...

Okay, so i would totally run with you! We miss SF soooo much. We always say "let's just go back to Palo Alto". We loved it. If we could afford it we'd be back in a second. And then we could run together :)

Dan and Courtney Budd said...

Give me a few months to get this baby out and I always start up my running two weeks post-baby. I plan on keeping with this tradition, so hold me to it! In the meantime, drop off Ryder when you want and take some of the tiny cans of MACE that Dan got for me when we moved to the good ol' SF.

cory said...

Jenny, come to the East Bay and Kristen will run with you!