Sunday, January 06, 2008

Back to the Grind

Arggh. 2008 has started off with a bang... just 4 days into this glorious new year, still depressed that we had to leave the promised land and that I am back at school, I find myself freezing to death in the dark contemplating who we are going to have to eat first. These are tough issues to face so early on in the year. Luckily the good folks at PG&E took care of us and had our power back up after about 24 hours. Oh, and we didn't have to eat anyone (the odds were stacked against me: Jenny is way too bony and Ryder is too cute. I might be a little grisly, but I think I am the 'most nutritious' member of the family.)

We have had an exciting couple of weeks, the typhoon-like storm that welcomed us back to the States was just the tail-end of it all. CANADA was fantastic, we did a lot, but there were still a couple multi-day stretches where I don't recall changing out of my pj's. Here are a few pictures:



Ryder and Nanna. Every day since we have been back he picks up the phone and props it up to his ear with his shoulder and says, "Hi Nanna, hhfiohqiwerhvbihovq." He enjoyed 'herding' her when we were at home. If she would leave the room he was preforming in, he would storm after her and not stop whining until she came back to the room to watch him dance/play/wrestle etc. He is turning into a little Diva...



Affinity for snow did NOT come naturally. Even the firce looking YETI on his baby-boggin couldn't get Ryder excited about the white stuff. By the time we left however, he was looking forward to goinig out back with my mom to take carrots to the horses and trudge through the snow.



The snow was literally melting all around her. WOW she is HOT. Oh yeah, she took Yummy Mummy of the Year Award for 2007 (two in a row baby). Congrats Jen. P.S. no animals were harmed in the making of the furry lining of Jenny and Ryder's hoods. Faux is vogue.



Here it is! Photographic evidence that Ryder let Grandpa hold him. It took a while, but by the end of the trip Ryder and Papa were going on unsupervised trips to the 'park' in the basement together. Here, Ryder is showing us the whale that was apparently under the couch. Lately Ryder's imagination has kicked in. He will crouch down by a couch or table, point underneath it and shout "WHOOAA, ____ (insert animal name)". To date we have had snake, whale, lion, tiger, camel and lizard sightings. It is cute now, and I suppose it will continue to be cute until we discover that Ryder really thinks he is seeing these things and his little delusions are properly diagnosed and medicated.



Jenny was making cookies (I guess there weren't enough sweets around the house already) when the mixer went out. Thank goodness my dad is the Master of Innovation. Whether the good folks at Skil and DeWalt, or for that matter, Martha Stewart, would approve is yet to be seen, but Jenny and Lloyd mixed it up like pros that night.



My mom bought my dad a Wii for their anniversary and it quickly became the centre of family activity. Jenny was a natural, I was decent, and Ryder ended up being one of those objects that the game warns you to look out for and not hit when you are following through your home run swing (UNCLE SAM). Oh well, the bruises are temporary, but the memories are forever right?!

8 comments:

Mike and Kelly said...

We wish that we would have been there. But we are looking forward to seeing you guys in April, (at that event that is not to be mentioned out loud yet until it is official). We are glad that you made it through the storms, and don't forget, there are always neighbours that can be more delicious than your family...

Jessica said...

wow, it sounds like y'all had a really fun break. i was laughing out loud reading some of the descriptions.

LindsayB said...

it was good to see you again. oh how i love the promised land too! about the child prodigy post, i think ryder is quite amazing. he knows right where to find his own kind at church. he sure loved me and my toys, and he and alli were talking about how scarry the snow shovel was together. and way to be sly kelly...

Sarah Walton said...

Hey Jenny! It was so great to see you and Ryder the other day! It was so fun to see everyone. Thanks for coming. I wish I could have stayed and talked longer though! maybe next time . . :) Ryder is so adorable by the way.

Mindi said...

Todd, your posts are hilarious! (Not that I read your blog alot, but I have time to kill so I'm blog-stalking!) But I love that you have a "Yummy Mummy" award and Jenny has won it twice. Good for her! (She's such a doll though). Oh, we have a few friends moving to San Fran to work and go to school, so I might have to send them your way, or come visit them and drop a line with you guys as well! Take care!

Camille said...

It was fun to see you guys over the holidays! I get to come down to Arizona this week (which, in my opinion, Todd, is about as close to the "Promised Land" as I can get).

Bekah said...

I love that photo of you three in front of the golden gate bridge! You have such a beautiful family:-) Hope all is well & we'll see you on Sunday!

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

Jenny!! I love your blog! It's so fun to see what you've been up to since London. I can't believe how big your little guy is!
-Emi