Sunday, March 09, 2008

the worst day of my life... period.

I’ve been putting this off for quite some time now… posting on the blog, that is. It’s mostly because I’m so behind and everything in me wants to back up and catch up on life. But I’ve faced the music and now realize that’s not going to happen. Like you want to know all of those details anyway. The other reason for my absence is because I’m just trying to get through life and all of its emotions... and sometimes that’s hard.

Many of you have heard about our recent adventure. We’ll call it an 'adventure' for the sake of being positive. First off, Todd and I (and Ryder, for that matter) would like to again thank our families for their loving support, prayers, fasting, late nights and many phone calls through everything. Before going into the details, I just want to share my testimony that our Father in Heaven knows who we are. He knows who I am and what my needs are. He knows each of us so individually and personally, and He loves us. I am so grateful for this knowledge.

For those of you who haven’t heard the details of our recent life excursions (and for record’s sake), here’s the story: Ryder and I recently had the great opportunity to spend about nine days with Todd’s family down in the Caribbean on a cruise. All thanks go to Grandma Diana! Poor Todd had to be responsible and stay here for school and work while we got to run and play… well, the play part was the plan, anyway…

It all started on a brisk Saturday in late February 08. Todd and I woke Ryder up early to make our flight out of SFO. After we said our teary goodbyes and settled in on the plane, I noticed Ryder felt a bit warm. Since we had just BARELY been through five days of a fever the week before, I was out of baby motrin at the time and figured I’d pick some up in Tampa before boarding the ship. (and yes, I was starting a day out flying across the country by MYSELF with a 19 MONTH OLD on my LAP while being 16 WEEKS PREGNANT…. what made me think I could do this?)

We made the transition to our second plane in SLC okay… after a bit of screaming in the bathroom while trying to change a diaper. (Ryder was screaming, not me… although tears did surface in my eyes once or twice. I’ll blame that on the extra hormones and the thought of being without my loving husband for a week+.) We boarded the next plane, and to my surprise, Ryder cuddled up with me and fell asleep AGAIN… Since he had slept the entire first flight and still felt warm, I knew he was not feeling himself. After about an hour, he woke up and showed a bit of interest in his milk and a book. That’s when it all happened – the scariest five minutes and then 36 hours of my life. Ryder tensed up and started convulsing from top to bottom – thousands of feet in the air and two hours from landing in Tampa.

I rang my call attendant button and told the lady and her son next to me (rather loudly)… “I think my son is have is a seizure!” She jumped up and started yelling at the flight attendants. I had read several times about febrile seizures and figured this was what was happening to Ryder…. and since I had read about them, I knew they usually came and went with usually no lasting damage. You just have to wait it out. This was comforting. BUT – what was NOT comforting was that we were, again, thousands of feet in the air, I was all by myself flying to a strange city with NO resident family, and Ryder was starting to turn black and blue.

The next five or so minutes are a big blur to me. Everything happened so quickly. Seemingly all at once - the flight attendants ran to us, I told them what was happening, an ENT doctor sitting behind me jumped up, one flight attendant requested over the intercom that any nurses or doctors on the plane make themselves known, and then two more nurses (one of which was a neonatal nurse) were by our sides striping Ryder’s clothes off and covering him in ice. At this point, he was laying on the two seats next to me… his little body with just a onsie and diaper on with bags of ice surrounding him…. and still shaking all over. He looked so small. My little boy. His lips and lower face started to turn blue, as the flight attendant finally came with the oxygen. Ryder was gasping for air, and the neonatal nurse (bless her soul!) listened to his breathing with a stethoscope and said his lungs sounded like they had quite a bit of fluid in them. They put the oxygen up to his face, and although still convulsing, he started to breath a bit better.

The nurse took ryder’s temp – it was 101.7 after having ice dumped on his naked body for a few minutes. We continued to talk to him, trying to get him to respond and calm down. In the meantime, the flight attendant was telling us the captain needed to know what was going on and if he needed to make an emergency landing. The nurse said possibly yes…. Ryder’s breathing still wasn’t quite normal. The captain then found several areas in which he could land along our route to Tampa… if it came down to it.

What do you do as a helpless mother at that point?... looking at your child shaking uncontrollably with his eyes rolled back into his head. I burst into tears. Everyone started (and continued) asking me if I was okay. I felt like yelling at them… “YES, I’M FINE… MY SON IS ONLY HAVING A SEIZURE AND I’M FOUR MONTHS PREGNANT, SO I’M EMOTIONAL, OKAY? CAN’T A GIRL SHED A FEW TEARS?”

After four and a half minutes of shaking, Ryder’s body all of a sudden went STILL. He didn’t move and wasn’t making any sound. We continued talking to him – trying to get him to respond in some way…. ANY way. He finally started to cry. And I finally got to hold him. The nurse kept telling me it was good for him to cry. But his poor body was going through a prolonged seizure episode. Although not visibly shaking at this point, he lay in my body unresponsive and as stiff as could be – his back was arched, his legs and feet stretched out, his arms folded up by his face, and his eyes were open and fixed to the right. He was crying but completely unresponsive… his body and eyes wouldn’t move, even as I tried to bend his legs and arms. He lay in my arms like this for 30+ minutes. I cried and prayed… over and over again.

The next hour and a half was the longest 90 minutes of my life. My new favorite nurse kindly sat next to me as we continued to talk to Ryder and readjust ice around his body (he was now only in a diaper). After the 30-40 minutes of stiffness, he finally fell asleep, and that’s when his body went limp. He slept for about 20 to 30 minutes. When he woke up, his eyes were still fixed to the right, but they would jump to focus on me and then go back to the right… I asked him where his bear’s eyes were, and he pointed off to the side of bear’s face somewhere. But his eyes slowly started to focus more on me and return back to normal. Then, as we were about to land, he sat up and looked out the window and said “more cars?" That's my boy!

We landed and were escorted off the plane while everyone else stayed in their seats and stared at us. A paramedic team met us at the gate and started to ask me a million questions. The ambulance was on its way. At this point, Ryder was doing so much better and all he wanted to do was eat. That’s gotta be a good sign.

Since Ryder was talking and walking well, I cancelled the ambulance and went to the hotel, where my brother-in-law, Mike (a family practice physician), examined Ryder. After talking with Todd, Mike, my dad, my uncle (a retired pediatrician) and Ryder’s pediatrician, it was decided that I should take him to the ER for a full examination. The concern was with the length of the seizure and the 30+ min prolonged episode following. USUALLY, febrile seizures last about 30 to 60 seconds and then the infant falls asleep for a couple of hours. This was not the case with Ryder's experience, as you've read. The doctors were looking for any signs of meningitis and encephalitis, as well as any other cause for the spike in fever. A urine test, chest x-ray, blood work, IV, ambulance ride, night in the hospital, ear infection diagnosis, some interesting food and an EEG later, we were prescribed some rectal gel (for injection should another seizure occur… so fun) and antibiotics, and we were dismissed…. all an hour before our ship was leaving port. The wonderful hospital staff pulled so many strings to get all of the tests we needed done in time for us to make our departure… pending doctor approval, that is. The neonatal neurologist even came in on her Sunday afternoon and sat in front of the EEG machine and read the test as it was being conducted. We love her! And we did end up getting the okay.

I have to say, though... the decision to still go on the trip was a tough one for Todd and me. After just being through all of that, there was no way I wanted to experience it again out in the middle of international waters - let alone in the middle of an island in Roatan. And of course we didn't want to put Ryder in harms way whatsoever. Todd and I prayed and talked through it over and over... and in the end, we felt nervous but at peace about going. So, we were off. Grandma Diana’s husband’s son just so happens to live five minutes from the hospital we were in. He not only drove my amazing mother-in-law back and forth from the pharmacy, hospital and hotel, but he also drove the three of us quickly to the port in order to make the ship in time. Thanks Steve!

The rest of our trip was a mix of emotions… after the stress, little-to-no sleep, and little food for 48 hours, my body gave up and I came down with the flu while Ryder still posted a fever for a few days. My wonderful family helped take care of him day and night so I could rest and enjoy the vacation as much as possible. They are amazing! Ryder bounced back to normal after about three days… I, unfortunately, still had the flu upon my return. Needless to say, after a week of such rolling emotions and so many tears, I was just so happy to come home. I had a wonderful time seeing family and am so thankful for the great trip. I really am. But words from Michael Buble’s song “Home” explain how I felt at the end of that week….
Maybe surrounded by
A million people I
Still feel all alone
I just wanna go home
Oh, I miss you, you know…
Another aeroplane
Another sunny place
I’m lucky I know
But I wanna go home
Mmmm, I’ve got to go home
Let me go home
I’ve had my run
Baby, I’m done
I gotta go home
Let me go home
It will all be all right
I’ll be home tonight
I’m coming back home

If you haven’t heard this song, look it up. It’s a good one. Again, thanks to all of you who called with concern and love throughout this all. We love you and so appreciate your support! More than anything, I have learned so much more about the love my Savior and Heavenly Father have for me and my family... as well as the kindness of mankind. Complete strangers saved Ryder... and me. And they served us with love and patience. I will be eternally grateful for them - for their kindess to me and Ryder, two strangers in need on an airplane.
Amidst it all, we did have so many amazing moments of fun. Here’s a picture story of our trip to prove it all.
The middle of our ER experience. Ryder wouldn't let me go anywhere.... barely move even. I had to stay in these peed-on clothes for 36 hours (ryder's pee... not mine. he peed on me during the seizure). I'm sure I smelt lovely. PS: don't I have freaky looking hands? They always look scary in pictures... as if I'm about to hurt someone or something.
Ryder in his inflatable seat in the ambulance....
do you see the IV needle in his little hand? Ouchie!
Enjoying our new hospital room in the pediatric wing.... we even had birds on our wall... five of them, to be exact. Ryder counted them several times.

Ryder getting hooked up to his many wires for the EEG. He wasn't very happy.... until the nurse came in and put a Blues Clues movie on... now that changed everything!

Ryder kept bear by his side the entire time!


Ryder with all of his 'snakes' coming out of his head. He really did think they were snakes. How scary would that be for a little boy!?


Ryder feelin' a bit better and sporting some shades and a hat while waiting for our ride to Stingray City.


Ryder actually touching the 'big fish.' He was a little frightened at first, but he warmed up to the big sea creatures eventually.... kind of.

I don't know what the fascination was with climbing in my suitcase... but this little guy seemed to enjoy it.... many a time.


Ryder sportin' his hot bod in Cozumel...



I'm kicking myself for not buying this monkey hat. We had a fabulous day in Belize!
The fam in Roatan... my favorite stop. Since cruise ships just barely started coming here, everything is still so pure and native... the pre-touristy stage. Loved it!



Ryder hanging out in our bedroom... with a little towel creature.

Us just hanging out on the boat... taking a break from throwing our torpedoes in the pool.... over and over again.

One last picture with the cousins and nanna on 'ryder's boat' before heading to the airport... Ryder is grasping his new dolphin from Belize and bear, of course... Thanks nanna!

24 comments:

Owens D.C. said...

Well that tops the scariest post I've read yet. My heart goes out to you and so glad that you're feeling better. Please take care of all of you!

Sarah Walton said...

Jenny! How scary! tears were falling down my cheeks as I was reading this imagining how worried you must have been! poor little ryder. I'm so glad he is okay and that you could enjoy your trip.

KellyLady said...

I can't even imagine how scarry that would have been for you. I'm glad everything worked out and that you have some fun memories. Take care

Jen said...

I also couldn't help but cry when I read this. I am so sorry you had to experience this. Glad that Ryder is okay and you are finally HOME!

Nicole said...

Jenny! I am so glad everything is okay! That must have been so scary! I'm glad he is okay and you could still have a good trip! Our prayers are with you!

Emily said...

You are made of strong stuff woman! What a scary and unexpected situation. I am constantly amazed at the resiliency of kids. We love you guys and are glad that all worked out.

Mostly Them said...

i wish i was still in tampa so that i could have been there for you!! im soo glad and thankful that everything seems to be ok... Poor ryder and pregnant Jenn! Next time i'm making the trip down to tampa to see you!

Tyler and Rachael said...

So glad to know that everything is okay.

Carpfam said...

Jenny!! That is the scariest thing ever! I was crying just reading about your experience, I can't imagine actually going through it!! Isn't it amazing to think you just happened to be on that particular plane with those people who knew how to help you guys. What a blessing. I'm so glad you guys are home now safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

Wow! So glad your cute kid is ok and must say he's a total trooper. Must get it from his She-Ra Mama and HeMan Daddy. -KT

Anjanette said...

Jenny, you are amazing. Really. I'm serious. That is one of the scariest stories ever. So glad to hear that you are your baby are well. PS. I'm sure the other people on the flight were just fine. Everyone knows you don't mess with a mom...let alone a pregnant mom.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh jenny! that seriously sounds so awful!!! i am so glad that he is okay now. i can't imagine how scared i would have been!! and to top it all of you are pregnant and were sick!:(

Mikey, Randi, and Gracie said...

camille told me about this and I'm so glad everything's ok! You're little man is so handsome and brave.

Nancy said...

wow what an experience! i'm glad things turned out okay and had at least an okay time on the cruise. also lucky you had so many doctors and nurses on that plane!

Scott and Michelle said...

I'm so glad everything is okay! What a scary experience. I know how yucky seizures are and I'm am glad Ryder is okay and back in good health! Also, I'm thrilled you had such a great nurse to help you! Let me know if you need anything! :o)

cory said...

Wow! That is so scary Jenny. I can't believe that there were all those medical practitioners on the plane with you. Kristen and I were very relieved to read that Ryder was okay. Hope all is well and best of luck with baby #2!

Anonymous said...

OH-MY-GOSH! I cannot believe it! That is by far the worst thing I have ever heard. I just clicked on you blog to check out a few pictures and hopefully find out what you were having, but I was not expecting THAT! I seriously would have been screaming hysterically! You should have seen me when my dog got hurt. My kids are still traumatized by the whole scene. Way to hold yourself together and be a great mom to Mr. Ryder Man. I hope and pray that nothing like that ever happens again.

G

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

Jenny! Oh my gosh...I can't even imagine! I'm so glad you're both ok! I just found your blog and I'm so happy to see you and your growing family! I'm never flying alone again!

Anonymous said...

It's Sister Mercado.............Oh Jenny, I'm so sorry to have read instead of knowing about this sooner. You are one awesome momma! But, you are an awesome woman anyway. Are you being molded and refined or what? Love you Jenny and Ryder is getting cuter and cuter all the time.

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

Oh Jenny, We heard about your horrible day and are so glad to see you got through it, I can't imagine going thru that AND being pregnant!!! AND alone! We Love and miss you and are so excited to have little boys who can run around together next summer at the reunion!!! Love&hugs. you look Hot....of course!
cris

Bartimaeus said...

YIKES!!! I just realized I've been holding my breath the whole time I was reading!
I'm so sorry that happened to you and Ryder!
I'm sooo glad he's okay! Thank goodness for medical personnel on the plane!!!

S+S said...

Jenny, Hi it's Sarah! How are you! I just read your blog (I found it on AJ's blog)! Cute. I'm so sorry to hear about Ryder getting sick. It must have felt terrible to be on that plane and be helpless to help your son. What a blessing that all those nurses and doctors were on the plane with you! Looks like you had fun on your cruise (by the way, how is it going on a cruise with a child?). Congratulations on baby #2, the boy! That will be fun for Ryder to have a brother to wrestle with!

Take care. Come visit our blog some time. :D

Hannah Stevenson said...

Hi, this is Hannah (Micah's Anderson's sister) I know it is kind of weird that I am reading your blog but I am...ANYWAY, I just wanted to say that I think you are amazing...many women would have just stayed home and not been brave enough to go on the cruise and on with life...but you did and I think that was the best thing you could have done. You are a very courageous Mama and you have an amazing little boy (not to mention a very brave husband...poor guy to have to be so far away that whole time). Thank goodness for prayers and faith.

Maria said...

I was almost in tears reading it, I can only imagine how scary it was for you.