Monday, May 18, 2009

turning point


i've been in somewhat of a rut lately - like for the past six months (or maybe year). it seems like ever since i stopped working - working in public relations for a paycheck, that is. of course I still "work." anyway, ever since I stopped, let's say... freelancing, i've found myself unorganized and unproductive. that really shouldn't be the case. i no longer have to get up at 4AM to take calls from the East Coast. i no longer have to spend all of nap time on conference calls/writing/editing/emailing. i no longer have to take work calls at the grocery store, park, gym and on vacation. i no longer have to pretend ryder isn't watching too much tv just so i can finish one last project. life really should be more manageable now, right?

so what's my deal?

here's what i've come up with - first off, i think my previously stressed and packed schedule forced me to be efficient and highly organized. i didn't have any room for error.

then secondly, my new found "freedom" forced me overboard. i got so excited to do all of the things i hadn't had time for over the previous two+ years that i jumped into too many projects and goals at one time. the result? it took me forever to actually finish a project and few (if any) of my goals have been met. bummer. that's a recipe for disappointment and a drop in self-esteem.

thirdly - working outside of the home can bring such a tangible sense of fulfillment. i would start a press tour/news release/contributed article/etc, work hard on it, have a deadline, finish it up and usually receive positive validation from coworkers and the client. even if it's just a well-written email with a recommendation that is well received - adult interaction and validation brings a great sense of accomplishment. now, take reasons number one and two mixed with the sudden lack of daily tangible validation. yuck. that's a crummy feeling.

please note the use of the word "tangible." motherhood is amazing. at this time of my life i wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here with my two young, beautiful boys. i love helping them wake up and embrace the good of each day. i love seeing them smile and feeling as though i had some small part in making it happen. i love seeing them learn and progress - both intellectually and emotionally. i love their kisses/hugs/laughter. i would never choose time in the office or travels to new york and boston for a tour over any of these things. never.

how can this picture not make you smile?!

but, motherhood doesn't necessarily have "checkpoints" along the way like a job does. it's hard to feel a great sense of accomplishment after changing your sixth poopy diaper of the day. i'm not saying being a mom isn't worth it - because i believe quite the contrary. i do believe motherhood is the best and most important job i could be doing right now. all i'm saying is that i don't feel like i've reached some new intellectual level as i wipe up excess pee around the toilet or scrub dried food off the carpet for the fifth time in two days.

i guess the trick is recognizing that the busy work of motherhood takes up far more time than the short bursts of goodness that come. and i guess you just have to find joy in the busy work - seeing it as a service and building a beautiful environment that welcomes and fosters that goodness. i know these things - and i think i often find myself enjoying the journey - but i'm still trying to learn how to believe these things in my heart throughout each day. no matter what comes.

Elder M. Russell Ballard (an incredible leader in the church we belong to - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) gave a talk in april 2008 that has brought me great comfort. read it. it's good. in part, he says:

"We need to remember that the full commitment of motherhood and of putting children first can be difficult. Through my own four-generation experience in our family, and through discussions with mothers of young children throughout the Church, I know something of a mother’s emotions that accompany her commitment to be at home with young children. There are moments of great joy and incredible fulfillment, but there are also moments of a sense of inadequacy, monotony and frustration. Mothers may feel they receive little or no appreciation for the choice they have made...

recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction."

i'm learning that it's okay that motherhood is hard for me at times. it is hard. that's just the way it is.

does this sound even remotely familiar to something you've gone through? or have thought before? or am i alone on this one?

so, i think i've let these crummy feelings get to me. and i'm living life in a whirlwind. much of that has to do with the fact that i'm just now recognizing all of these reasons (and a few others) for my seemingly unproductive, unorganized life. when you don't know the cause of a problem, it's kind of hard to fix it. so, now i'm ready to move on. to move up. to make life better.

so, i'm working on a plan. i'm setting some goals. i need a better consistent perspective.

what has worked for you? any guidance? help!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny! I totally hear ya. After working for 5 years and then stopping to be a full time mom...it's definitely an adjustment. I only have one kid and can't imagine all the joy and work that come with two. Things that help me out: taking at least 1 hr a day for me time, exercising, weekly date night taking turns on who picks the activity, taking lots of pics & clips to watch of good times, and yes, I even found a wkly therapy session which has been a life saver. Let's hang out at the aquarium if ya haven't already moved. Thanks for the post. Mom's totally need paychecks for all the poop we take care of and then some :) KT

Frost Fam said...

Jenny! Your post totally nails it. I think no matter where we are with our lives, we need to have an outlet for personal development. Work is an easy outlet for that and, when it goes away, it can be easy not to replace it. Whether it's participation in a book club, the gym, running that marathon, volunteering, anything that helps you feel more like you for a little while helps - and makes you a more focused person because your achievments (outside the home) are also recognized. You are an amazing mom and also an amazing person. We need to nurture both sides.

Anonymous said...

Jenny! I enjoy your posts. You have a wonderful way of explaining what's going on and it makes me think! Good luck with packing, moving, and breaking in a new town.

Mikey, Randi, and Gracie said...

Thanks for this post, Jen. It was perfect. And most days I look around at my super messy house and feel very overwhelmed and under qualified. But then I hear Gracie laughing and none of it matters. I wish we lived near each other so we could hang out and validate each other. haha! Maybe we will in Washington. Love you!

Owens D.C. said...

I'll second the whole thing!

Kristen said...

My sister Kim told me about your blog. I've been meaning to get in touch with you. It was recommended for me to do some press releases for my business. Not sure what's involved and if you do what I need, but would love to chat. (Love your blog by the way!)

Jessica said...

it is hard, isn't it? i remember that talk and how much of an impact it made on me when i heard it at that conference. i think the truth of the matter is that it IS hard being a full-time mom, but that most moms would agree that it is ultimately and definitely worth it. i think the big thing to help keep my sanity is finding a balance. it's not selfish to make time just for yourself. i find when i'm at my breaking point (see my latest post if you'd like the details) it is almost always when i have gone too long without making time to take care of me and only me. sometimes those days or weeks are unavoidable, but in the end i really feel it is so important to take care of ourselves so that we have the emotional, mental, and even physical endurance to raise children day in and day out.

Gruwells said...

Jenny dear,
I have so many thoughts about the subject that I'm going to write you a seperate e-mail. Let me just say this, that aside from the weekly "taking care of me" and the hobbies and projects that make me feel like "Stacie" and not just mommy, what gets me through most is fostering my personal relationship with my Heavenly Father- knowing how HE feels about me. That may sound like a generic Sunday school answer- but I think we greatly underestimate the intimate, personal relationship we can have with our Father, and then we lose sight of our place in this big plan. Deep down I know I'm in a partnership doing HIS work. And when I know HE approves of me, I really don't care about what anyone else thinks. His validation is what I need. And He WILL give it in quiet moments.

(by the way, the Carpentiers comment above is Dave Wade's sister, Kristen)

whitney said...

You don't know who I am. But Todd does, so ask him.
I hear you loud and clear!
I love that people are finally admitting that being a mother is hard. I remember when Roman was born. He was 2 months old and I was dying - dying that I found it so hard to be home with a colicky baby all day and night and apparently no one else did. None of my friends who had kids would admit a thing. I wanted to smack them when they finally did admit how hard it can be at times.
It is so nice to see someone else agree with me about working outside the home too. You said it perfectly, exactly what I want to say about it but the words just don't come out right. I have had so many people look down on me and make snide remarks about me working and how I should be home with my kids. I am a nurse (on mat leave right now) and I work casual. 5-6 shifts a month that I pick up when I want to. Mostly evenings, nights, and weekends so Brad is home with the kids. It's hardly any time out of my month. But it keeps me sane. I think it makes me a better mom to have that validation. It also makes me really appreciate what I have at home, appreciate how hard my husband works, be thankful for my education, and be so grateful that I don't have to work full time.
So thanks for putting your feelings out there, because you are so not the only one!

Lindsay said...

Hi! This was a much needed post for me to read today! Motherhood IS hard. It's hard to have every day be so unpredictable. It's hard to not feel at the "top of our game". Ever since I became pregnant, my brain stopped working and I still feel like a mess! I think back on my days of teaching college and how rewarding that was for me... and now I have a good day if I can get some laundry done and get a shower in. Such a different world... I sometimes miss my old world - especially the learning part. So something that's helped me is to "go back to school" and get a degree in Motherhood. I've been devouring good books and research articles and trying to learn all I can about everything pertaining to my little guy- physiology, psychology, nutrition, etc. It's been really theraputic and rewarding to expand my mind in a way that directly pertains to my role as a mother.

Anonymous said...

I can't relate to the motherhood bit, but I know that I am WAY more unproductive some days than I ought to be. You'd think that these days I am FORCED not to work (legally) would mean I'd stay home and, like, organise my cupboards or something...but mostly I just sleep in. I figure, once I'm a mom or an employee, I won't be able to. These days are numbered. So I enjoy it, but not without a fair bit of guilt.

I always appreciate your posts. I feel like you're helping me prepare for when we do have kids...

Nancy said...

jenny i just read this post and i loved it. thanks for sharing!