Cannon Walker - 1 year old
We've been staying pretty busy around here.... Residency sure is different than dental school. But we're moving upward and onward.
Ryder and I made cookies together today.
He got really close to the dough and said - "Ew, it smelled my nose. It smells yucky or something." He then proceeded to eat a huge spoonful. Funny kid.
Ryder Paul - 3 years old
After I took this picture and showed it to Ryder, in a darling sweet voice he said...
"You're a pretty mommy."
I love him.
The reason for the cookies? (besides as a tasty treat here at home)? Well, Ryder's unstable, emotional 3-year-old little mind burst this morning when our incredibly kind neighbor simply said hello and gestured for a high-five. Ryder proceeded to scream at the top of his lungs like a mad child. That was embarrassing. So we made cookies, and Ryder had to apologize to poor Rob. Luckily poor Rob is more than understanding..... and has an awesome Harley Davidson that Ryder loves to admire and covet.... from a distance. It's a little loud and intimidating up close.
We practiced our apology throughout the day in an effort to preempt a repeat screaming scenario. One of the times I asked, "So Ryder, what are you going to say to Rob?"
He thought about it for a minute, and then my recently turned 3-year-old said, "Mom, I think my tummy might be a little too frightened when I talk to Rob. I might feel a little bit sick."
I admit it... I giggled. That cute little weasel.
So, yesterday was one of those Sundays - you know, the one where you wake up late, your hair looks awful, you just have to pick some lame, easy outfit that doesn't have to be ironed and your shoes don't really even match the ensemble? I came down the stairs trying to comfort myself and thought, "Ah, it doesn't even matter, right? I'm going to church to worship... not for a fashion show." But I just didn't feel like my best self, and I don't like that feeling.
Well, I turned the corner into the living room, and Ryder looked up, paused from his playing and ran up to me and said - "Wow, mommy! You look bee-utiful!"
.edit.jpg)
Have I told you, I love this kid?
Even if he does disobey and get out of his bed at nap time and proceed to empty everything he can find in his closet into Cannon's bed.... with sleepy Cannon inside. Naughty boy! Errr. At least Cannon wasn't sleeping under the pile of shoes, baby bjorn, stuffed animals and laundry.
Another cute story for you - Ryder and I have been playing this little game for a while now, where I say, "Guess what?" while giving him a squeeze and staring into his eyes. He comes back and says real quick before I can say anything else - "I love you!" And then I follow with a "No, I love you!" He usually then just runs on his way to play with Lighting McQueen, HeMan, Diego, Thomas, fire trucks.... or whatever his passion is at the moment.
Well, a few days ago I started the game once again:
Me: "Ryder, guess what?"
Ryder: "..... I love you!"
Me: "No, I love YOU!"
and Ryder paused and thoughtfully responded....
"Mom, but mom, we’re a family, and we love each other......... So..... I can love you, and you can love us. We’re a family."
How darling. I was a proud mommy at that moment.
And another somewhat funny dialogue from our recent life... this time between me and Todd:
Me: "Honey, I think the kids might be getting sick."
Todd: "That sucks for you."
Ha! Todd really isn't that insensitive... He's actually very thoughtful. Ryder's compliments are reiterations of what he hears his father say to me. In this case, Todd was just painstakingly alluding to the fact that he's rarely ever home, so he really wouldn't have to deal with any of it anyway. And he was right.
One recent example of a day's schedule for him - one morning Todd left at 5:45am for the hospital and didn't return until just before 12am (aka midnight).... I waited up for him so we could chat for a few minutes (because we only get to talk for a minute or two during the day.... if we're lucky). His head literally hadn't been on his pillow for even 30 seconds when at 12:56am his beeper went off. After a call into the hospital, he was up and getting dressed to drive back in.
What's sleep anyway, right?
Cannon has two favorite spots lately.... this is the first - standing at the back window and watching the kids/cars/garbage trucks go back and forth. He slaps his little hands on the windows and screams (in delight) at the top of his lungs. It makes me smile.
His second favorite place is right at this bookshelf.... and tearing everything that he can reach down to the ground. He's in love with books, so he pulls all of them off the shelf and opens each up one by one.
.edit.jpg)
And he's very into messes.... like getting my attention only to then bluntly throw a piece of food off of his tray onto the floor while I'm watching.... or eat sand and get it all over his face..... or crawl over to a puddle outside and try to drink from it. He's our messy boy. Ryder is our clean, orderly, anal boy. Guess which one takes after me?
Wait. Don't answer that.
This weekend Kip and Taryn came over for brunch. Kip is one of Todd's coresidents, and the two of them have been able to work closely together during this rotation (all other rotations are spent on your own with the associated attendings). We love them! And Ryder LOVES Taryn. I think we may have successfully scared them away from the thought of children anytime soon.... but at least they said they had a good time. :)
.edit.jpg)
And Cannon still loves to swing. And Ryder still hates it.
P.S. We have new phone numbers. If you would like to reach us, shoot me an email and I'll send along our new digits.
P.P.S. Stay tuned for upcoming posts on our last days in San Francisco, Todd's graduation, more on our move, a few pics of our new house, Cannon's 1st birthday, a family reunion and other fun recent happenings like visits with cousins, a kickball game and a trip to Woodland Zoo.
I know you can't wait.
11 comments:
Holy cow! Ryder is such a sweetie! And those pictures are awesome. Good job! And I want to see some pictures of the new house so post soon.
Jen,
Reading your post made me miss you so very much! We sure love those darling little boys of yours! I'm dying to hear whether poor Rob ever actually got the cookies?!?
I love you. We're crazy here, packing the moving truck tomorrow, but I'll call soon!
Love, Stacie
you are a pretty mommy, it's true.
what kind of dental emergency is happening that requires todd's presence at 12:56 am?
Ryder is such a sweet, sweet boy! I just love having him in nursery with me! He's at such a fun age where they say the cutest things. Gotta love it!
ok, i'm having a hard time with this post because i miss ryder!!!
he is so cute. and cannon as well!
That is a serious post and look forward to what comes. Victoria is with Ryder on the whole hating swinging, but yet she loves heights and fast things...doesn't make much sense, but hey they know what they do and don't like at that age.
Can't wait for the new pics of the house and I'm sure on your worst looking day that is likely possibly my best, I distinctly recall never ever when coming back from a long run in the humid weather back here, did you ever look bad? It's just not possible!
What a fun post! I loved reading about the little things that make the Fairbanks tick and what a day in the life is like. :) Looking forward to reading more!
oh my goodness your kids are adorable! That first one of Cannon doesn't even look like him. And cute Ryder, I love all the cute things he says. Wish we could see you guys more. Love you!
Jenny! It was so much fun seeing you in Seattle a few weeks ago. Your kids are adorable and you're an awesome mom. I'm so glad we're friends!
Jenny! Yes, it is me and we live on the west coast now while Matt is doing his residency. Now, to that residency thing. I totally hear you. It is crazy stuff! I really don't get how they expect people to be able to function with little to no sleep. Matt says all the time at night/early morning when he is trying to type notes he can barely read the screen because it is all blurry. Any way, hope all is well. P.S. Your kids are adorable.
Seriously, I can't wait. I know it's super cheesy, but I can't think of any other way to say - my heart melted when I read every single one of those stories. Except the one about Todd having to get up right after going to bed.
Will you please write a book about how to be such a wonderful mother that you children say those kinds of things?
Post a Comment