Ryder and I set off this Saturday for his first angling adventure. If you want to fit in out here in the pacific northwest, you need to fish, a wardrobe with at least 2 outfits resembling military fatigues and you need an endless supply of fish stories. This weekend was all about helping Ryder fit in. Friday night we stopped at Target and the CHAMP picked out his very own SUPERMAN fishing pole. Since he already has camo shorts, we decided to forgoe the wardrobe revision. Saturday morning we packed up some lunches, our fishing gear and a two-for-one coupon to jamba juice (a yuppy twist to a manly outing). We headed about 20 miles south to a small golf course with a stocked trout pond.
Upon arrival I was informed by the 13 year-old 'pond attendant' that there was no catch and release here... you catch it, you buy it... and each fish is $6.50 a pop. Memories cost $$$. Who can put a price on the CHAMP having the time of his life though. After a brief tutorial on the basics of casting and reeling (brief meaning the time it took for him to say "I already know dad" 17 times), we sent our first cast into the pond. I knew my wallet was in for it when the fish were jumping out of the water after the bait before it had even hit the water. Within 1 minute Ryder had reeled in a 14" Rainbow Trout, his first conquest over nature (besides squishing bugs) to date. He wouldn't stop smiling and telling me how awesome it was. I must say, I was pretty happy myself. After three casts and three fish, I started to think how this was going to be the fastest fishing trip or the most expensive trip ever. I had to be witty... I stopped adding bait to the hook, I pretended the fish were squirming and threw them back in when my 13 year old escort wasn't looking, and I stuck bait to the weights and left the hook bare so the CHAMP could get a bite, but not reel another $6.50 in. It all worked too! We were able to prolong the morning, bring home some sweet rainbows and give the CHAMP a first class fishing experience. In the end it was well worth the price- besides the CHAMP now has a few fishing stories to help him fit in here.

first ever fish!!!

fearless fishers of the pacific northwest, no fish is safe
the house now stinks like fish
8 comments:
Boy, this is a bad post for me to show Doug. (But I'm gonna) He also just went fishing with some friends in the Pacific Ocean (off Hachinohe, Japan) but didn't fare quite as well. He caught five little guys with a cumulative total weight of probably half Ryder's first fish.
Hmm. But hey...at least he's got some stories now.
And that half teaspoon of fish I got to try was quite tasty!
that is so nasty.
How cute!!! I love it - Ryder is totally a little boy, through & through. :)
way to go, Ryder. I don't think I've even caught a fish that big in my whole life. (probably why I haven't gone fishing in prob more than 10 yrs)
Impressive! I am super jealous. We need to take lil Z fishing. Was that kid just making a killing on peeps setting up his own surcharge? :) Katy
Sounds like a wonderful Daddy and Son outing. And FYI That is bigger fish and more fish than my Dad and brothers caught in a lake they were flown specifically to for catching fish in Alaska. So I am super impressed.
Ryder looks so old! And so dang cute. I'm sorry to see that he is not wearing the camo shorts, however!
Love you all,
Stacie
JENNY! I need you to call me or I need to call you. Zack has a rash/spots on his face and legs and I want to describe them to you. He already had chicken pox vaccination, but I'm sort of freaking out! Email me your number at joyelizs3@gmail.com We called the doctor but since he's not acting sick we are waiting for tomorrow. Thanks!
joy
Post a Comment