it kinda hurts.
This is the home I grew up in. The house I came home to as a newborn. The driveway I cruised a big wheel down. The front street I learned to ride a two wheeler on. The yard I searched for Easter eggs in. The backyard I lived in during the summers with my swimsuit glued to my body and popsicle stains down my chin. The orchard I picked raspberries, apples, cherries, peaches, grapefruit and strawberries in. The "jungle gym" I'd get all muddy in from my dripping wet swimsuit. The almond orchards and massive eucalyptus trees just past our back fence that I'd roam through and play in tree houses in. The home I celebrated at least 20 birthdays, Christmases and every other holiday in. The bedroom I studied in, rocked out to music in and giggled with girlfriends in. The amazingly incredible backyard (thanks all to my father's endless hard work) Todd and I celebrated our marriage in. The home I proudly brought both Ryder and Cannon to - hoping to share some of these seemingly untouchable memories with. The near-perfect neighborhood with surrogate parents and siblings up and down the street. The home I shared with my six brothers and sisters and wonderful parents.
And after 30+ years, it's for sale.
I'm currently trying to find a way to make it home this summer with my boys to relive as many memories as I can. Before it's gone forever.
(sniff, sniff)
To be fair, it's not all doom and gloom. My parents are building a beautiful new home a block away from my oldest sibling not too far away. It's something they've dreamed of and planned on for years. But sometimes even when you plan for something for so long, it's still hard when it begins to become reality.


11 comments:
I KNOW what you mean! My parents moved 2 years ago from my childhood home and I was so upset! But yes, they got a newer nicer home that they well deserved! It didn't turn out so bad though...my brother ended up buying my parents house! So now I STILL get to go there and remember memories! Go home this summer if you can! :) You'll be glad you did :)
If my parents ever move I know I'll feel the exact same way! What a beautiful home.
I'm depressed. I'm pretty sure I was part of at least half of those memories. To this day, when I eat raspberries, I think of being in your back yard playing on the "jungle gym". Things like this make me wish I never had to grow up.
I can't believe it! I have some good memories there too! I'm sure your parents are happy and excited, but it's hard to say goodbye to such a huge part of your past. I'm dreading the day my parents follow suit...I hope you get some more good memories before they move on!
Hey Jennie, It's Jessica - Stac just sent me the same pictures! So sad! What a very good post of memories, I have such fond memories of your house as well. On the flip side, it will be fun to have them closer and hopefully I will get to see the Hansens more often!
I totally feel ya! My parents sold our house when I was away at college. I lived there from the time I was 3 until I left for school. It was hard to "go home" to a new house but in time I got used to it. Now when I go back and drive down my old street it is so strange. I hope you get to visit one last time and take lots of pics.
The tears flow.
Mom and I were thinking, maybe if we burn it down and make it look like an accident, they'll still get the money out of it but we don't have to see anyone else live in it!
I'd do it if it wasn't for my temple recommend interview.....
Love you!
I am so sad! Oh man, Whitegate Drive will not be the same without the Hansens 3 houses down. I'm sniff, sniffing too! I've had SO many fun memories with you Jenny. Why do we all have to grow up and move on!!??
Wow! I know I was a late comer and lived 1/2 a mile away from your house, but man I am sniffing too. That's where "The Zit Fairy" was filmed, and a million other of my adolescent memories. Wow. I'm so happy for your parents, but man, that for sale sign!
sad
sad
sad
PS. Yes! Go back this summer. I'll meet you in the Central Valley.
what a great house. i heard the news from my parents and still can't quite imagine driving by without knowing that your parents are inside. remember the walks around whitegate drive? good memories, great house, even better family.
Post a Comment