A few days ago as I had just stepped out of the shower with messy, wet hair and had thrown on a pair of old sweats and a tshirt, I heard Cannon's little fingers struggling to open the door. As he walked in, he looked up at me with his big toothy grin, sparkly brown eyes and my favorite white-blond hair and very sweetly said -- "Hi, pretty princess!"
My dear husband, long ago, taught his boys to call me that. And they do. Out of the blue and all on their own.
Well, folks, it looks like I will maintain that title as sole proprietor in our household for yet another few years.
Yes, I'm pregnant.
20 weeks along.
We found out this morning we have boy #3 joining us in late September (when Todd is on his Emergency Department rotation... and the week before he'll be in Chicago presenting research at a conference. Nice timing, eh?)
We couldn't be more happy!!
Honestly and truly.
I won't lie. I do want a girl. And one day hopefully a sweet little girl will join our family. I was a little worried that if and when the doctor told me this new little one was a boy, that I'd burst into tears. I wasn't really sure what my reaction would be when faced with the reality of yet a third (or should I say fourth?) ball of energy and testosterone to join our home. But when he told me, my heart was filled with love. All due, I'm sure, to prayers given this morning. Prayers yearning for peace.
I looked at my little one's profile and his tiny lips drinking and his cute mouth yawning, and my heart swelled with love. A particular spiritual feeling I've only had after bringing my two other boys into this world and as Todd gave the student address during his dental graduation. A feeling like no other.
I absolutely and completely in every way imaginable adore my boys. I love their sweetness. I love....
Going bug collecting and frog hunting.
And housing the little slugs and jumping friends for a day or two.
Reading every finely detailed book on dinosaurs known to man. Playing cars, building robots, digging in the dirt, throwing/hitting/catching/rolling/tossing balls, building any and all sorts of train tracks, pretending to be a shark/elephant/dolphin/lion/etc...
Constructing pulleys - and tying them to Ryder's bike. And building "incline planes" and "toy put-awayers." And playing with them for days on end.
Watching tow trucks.
Doing science experiments. All. the. time.
Throwing rocks/logs/sticks and anything else non-trash we can find into any sort of water/puddle.
Living outdoors.... in green shoes.
Playing knights and dragons.
Hide and seek in the garbage can.
And taking baths in blue water.
I know how to do that kind of stuff. One day, hopefully, I'll learn how to do little girl stuff again, too. For now, I'm absolutely thrilled to retain the "pretty princess" status in our home.
And Todd is just happy we're adding one more to our football team and that we don't have to buy anything.
26 comments:
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you guys!
Congrats lady, I am soooo happy for you guys. When exactly is your due date though? We are having our new little guys like a week apart I think! Very exciting. You will definitely have to help me out with the little boy routine though...I am new to this and you are an expert! Luv ya lady and congrats!
You have the most adorable little boys. I can't wait to meet the third. Boys truly are so much fun. I am so excited for you!
SOOOOOOOOOO excited for you! I am excited for this 'boy' adventure that I am embarking on.. I might need some advice.. CONGRATS! You guys make cute boys!
Congrats! I'm very excited for you and your boys. This little guy will be so much fun! Call me and we'll discuss some things you have to buy!
I was thinking about you yesterday with your ultrasound! Congratulations on another boy!
awww, very exciting!
Congratulations!! How exciting!
wow jenny! congrats!!! i am so excited for you guys! and boy #3, very exciting!!! i loved your post and it reminded me of why i love having boys as well, although i also hope we will have a little girl someday too.:) you are a great mom to your boys!!:)
Congratulations! I'm so excited for you guys!
congratulations jenny! i am so excited for you :) another boy, another adventure.
Wonderful post. Congratulations on your little boy. I loved all of the great pictures of Ryder & Cannon just being boys.
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I just know I'll have another boy after this one. And I'm already dealing with it. :) I've decided I'll just adopt my girl. But we sure are good at making boys, huh? They are so cute, fun, and loving.
And how did you keep this a secret from us for SO LONG?!! I'm a little upset you held out longer then me in telling everyone. 20 weeks!!
I have also decided not to find out the sex of the next baby. Or maybe I will find out the sex and just tell everyone I don't know what it is if it's another boy. That way I won't have to deal with people and feel like I have to justify my happiness with having all boys.
Oh, and there is a family here with three older boys and a baby girl. AND Becky had three boys and then two girls. Not sure why, but knowing little tidbits like that make me feel more hopeful. Not that I really want a girl, just nice to know there is a chance. :)
Sorry this is a novel. I'm SO excited for you! Yay for us having more boys around the same age!
You do boys so well, Congratulations!
Yeah. Another boy!
I wish we lived in the same town so your boys could teach my boys all this "boy" stuff! I'm sure he'd love to follow them around for a day or two.
Congratulations! You do such fun things with your boys!
Wow! I am SO happy for you guys and can't wait for another awesome boy name. That girl will come, but I do have a girlfriend who has five boys and they haven't given up yet :) I hope you're feeling good and not having any drama. We've got a few months left till our little one joins us so hooray for new babies :)
3 boys will be more fun than EVER! Congratulations
I'm so excited for you! You'll have so many fun times with 3 boys right in a row! And they'll always take care of you. Congratulations to you and todd...and Ryder and Cannon too.
Congratulations, Jenny! We are so excited for you and hope you are feeling well.
Jen Congrats! As a mother with 3 boys of her own I can say I love every minute of it. I can also say if I ever had a girl I don't know if I would know what to do with her. Enjoy being the "princess". I know I do.
3 boys!! How fun! Loved your post. Congrats on the great news!
congrats you guys! your post was so cute. It makes me excited for our little boy to get into lots of little boy things. And for now, live up the princess status! miss you guys!
i've been out of the blogging loop for a bit......so i'm late in posting a SUPER congratulations on your pregnancy!! little boys are so much fun....and he'll have such wonderful examples to look up to.
Oh here it is! Congratulations! So exciting. Somehow it seems that all of my sisters and friends have lapped me in child bearing and now it's happening all over again :) I love your description of boys. That's what we do with Nigel. Wow! Three (four) boys! So much fun! Way to go.
Congrats on another boy! It is funny how they come in 3's. We have 3 girls.
Post a Comment