Sunday, November 28, 2010

"The town that eats, sleeps, breathes football"

And what "town" is that, you might ask?

 

It's Raymond.

Raymond, Alberta, Canada. A town of about 3,800 people. The town where Todd grew up. And let me tell you a little bit more about Raymond....

"Comparable to a sports-first mentality in small-town America, the people around Raymond care about the local high school sports teams, almost as much as they care about their faith. The town is well-known for being a deeply religious community. There are six churches and four denominations, but Raymond is best known for its connections with the Mormon faith and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There's one main street. The extent of the major amenities include a grocery store, a drugstore, a burger joint, a Subway, and a hardware store." (italics added)  and might I add.... NO traffic lights. Not one.

University of Calgary's head football coach says...

"I just think it's amazing how a group of 20 to 25 kids can come out every year and beat the best teams in Alberta. It's a community environment where the kids eat, live and breathe Comet football. They grow up wanting to play it and they train to play it."

What's all the hype about? The Raymond Comets just won yet another provincial {aka "state" in US terms} championship. The snipets above were taken from this story in the Calgary Herald.

Todd's reaction to the article:

"And you want to deny our boys all of that?!?!! You can't!"

Guess who's still trying to move us up north?

With a father who played Comet football and a year of college ball, and with a grandfather who also played for the Comets, as well as a 17 year professional  football career.... our three boys don't have free agency when it comes to the sport. Big plans are in store for them, whether they like it or not.

Poor boys.

I'll be their advocate, don't you worry.

Question is... Can I really leave the US to live in freezing cold temperatures in a town with less than 4,000 people, cows for neighbors, an airport 3 hours away and no Target?!!


I love my in-laws dearly.... but that's a lot to ask.

;)

8 comments:

Mike and Kelly said...

but not too much to live in Zion!!!
kelly
it IS a lot to ask!
Mike

Adamson Family said...

Sounds like my kind of town.

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

That IS a lot to ask, Jen! ...NO target??
Well, it sounds kinda like the football hype that all us texans are used to, It is So fun though, I love the adrenaline at HS football games....could you imagine being the star of the show? Jon still regrets not playing- but his mom took his agency on that one! I want to see more pictures!! P.s. we are having a girl!

Camille said...

You might get accustomed to the frigid cold. You might get accustomed to the atrocious footwear. You might get accustomed to the grocery store closing at 6 p.m.

But you will never get over the loss of Target.

Take it from one who knows. And save yourself. : )

Camille said...

Seriously. I just got home from Target. :)

Anjanette said...

NOOOOOOOO! Don't do it.

Lindsay said...

I laughed so hard when I read this. My sister who married Wally Stone's son has been living in Calgary for 2 years now. They go back to Raymond a couple times a month - mostly to see her husband's younger brother play football! Her mother-in-law even missed her very first grandchild's baby shower to go to a game. So I have a glimpse of what you're talking about from my sister's accounts. And it sounds like madness to me :)

jhoopes said...

That is a lot to take in...sounds very charming, though! And 3 boys and football may go together. It will be exciting to see what happens!! Keep us posted.