Thursday, January 26, 2012

a special day


Today marks a special day for Cannon. A right of passage, in a sense. Today, we welcomed a new member into our family - and said goodbye to a beloved friend.


We will miss blankie, but his encouragement of thumb sucking could not be tolerated any longer. Peanut, a loving, little lion, will assume blankie's comforting role for Cannon. And we had a goodbye ceremony of sorts this evening... saying goodbye and wrapping up blankie, not to be opened for a few years or so. And welcoming Peanut to his new role.


I had it all planned out... making a special event of it all. We even all closed our eyes to make a parting good-well wish (envision Todd rolling his eyes).


 

I asked Todd to come up a with a song to sing (he's got amazing creative powers in that regard). He rolled his eyes (again... I didn't see it this time, but I'm sure he did), but he did come through.


The song started out nice, but then he broke out into a rock segment that bashed blankie's existence, and Cannon burst into tears...


And Ryder, being the sensitive brother that he is, felt so badly for his little brother that he broke into tears too...

Way to go, Todd. Sheesh! ;)

They did eventually calm down and enjoyed blowing out the candles, eating cake, wrapping up blankie, kissing him goodbye and ending up with a bit of ninja wrestling.




Cannon is now cuddling with Peanut in bed... sans his thumb in mouth.

So far, so good.

5 comments:

Emily Springer said...

that is such a cute idea. i, alas, was also a thumb sucker...I "quit" when I was little too but then years later my mom came to wake me up for school and I was sucking my thumb!!! I had thought I quit but apparently my thumb had a mind of its own during bedtime. SOOOO just watch him when he sleeps to see if that pesky thumb starts to make an appearance without him realizing it. good luck!

Jodee said...

Oh no! I have got to hear this song, that is too funny!
Very cute though, good luck Cannon!

Myrnie said...

Love it :). Great pictures!

Anjanette said...

OH MY GOSH!

I am dying!

Did you record the song (& the weeping, wailing & gnashing of teeth)? Please say yes.

Gruwells said...

i can just see todd and play it out in my mind. ha ha. poor little cannon...others don't appreciated blankie the way he does. such a cute idea....more effort for a party for blankie's farewell than some get in their whole lifetime! :) hope peanut is settling in nicely. love to all.