Hudson loves getting dirty!!
Look out for some backposts with pictures from 2011... I missed so many great moments last year, and they need to be documented. It needs to be done. It will be done.
Hudson is a horrible eater.... he had pancakes for dinner one night this week, because he wouldn't eat anything else. If all else fails, I just give him a bowl of applesauce, and he has a grand ol' time making a disaster of a mess.
Todd just started a new rotation - anesthesia. I love it. He's been home by 4pm 4 out of 5 nights this week... and no call. Yipee for March and April! What shall we do with all our time?
Musician Joshua Radin and his Brand New Day makes me happy. Go listen to it now, okay? (although the music video is pretty lame.)
We spent a fabulous weekend at Great Wolf Lodge. My joints are exhausted from all of that running around and extreme heat... but it was a blast. It was so wonderful living non-stop fun through the eyes of our boys. What a great weekend with friends!
Tonight, as Ryder was talking with his Nana, Todd captured Cannon and wrapped his arms around the little man. Cannon was giggling so hard and begging for release, and then he exclaimed, "Dad, let me go! You're breaking all of the commandments!" Hee, hee.
He also later told Todd he was breaking the rules for playing legos at night. "You're a rule breaker, Dad." Sheesh, Todd. ;)
So, I've been thinking a lot about what consumes my emotional energy... and my physical time...
It's so interesting to stop and think about what really matters in life. My days are consumed with to-do lists. And my worries are, no doubt, very different than many in our world.
I worry about sports class signups, getting homework done, when I'm going to make it to the grocery store, writing pitches, drafting press releases, scheduling interviews, making phone calls, fitting in baths, where we're going to live when we're done, cleaning my dirty floor, frustrated over filthy bathrooms, overwhelmed with laundry. Really? Overwhelmed with laundry? That's it?
Sure, the issues are bigger at times. Life is sometimes truly hard in my little sphere. It's hard to have a husband gone a lot. To have three little balls of energy running around. It's hard to be needed day-in and day-out by three little ones. To never be off duty. It's a challenge to segment my mind - to segment my time - and to work for a client on constant and revolving deadlines.
But is it hard to the point where I am emotionally stunted? To the point where my point of view becomes so narrow as to shut out so many bigger issues? To the point where my days become focused on the little things that seem to matter but really don't? Where is my devotion to God and to humanity in all of this?
I have a loving husband and three young boys who need me. I get that. I want that. I'm not thinking I should take off to some far away country and save the world. It just seems I can spend my energies more wisely. I can channel my teaching moments to rear responsible, knowledgeable, world-conscious children who think outside of their spheres, outside of their comforts.
I get worked up over the littlest things - many of which are out of my control. But what really matters? What deserves my emotional attention? What deserves my time?
I can't stop thinking of this...
And my only step forward is realigning my train of thought each day to address the priorities I seek in life. To put God first. Always. And to do my best in gratefully thriving in the moment.
Does this make any sense?
What are your thoughts on living a meaningful life?
Tonight, as Ryder was talking with his Nana, Todd captured Cannon and wrapped his arms around the little man. Cannon was giggling so hard and begging for release, and then he exclaimed, "Dad, let me go! You're breaking all of the commandments!" Hee, hee.
He also later told Todd he was breaking the rules for playing legos at night. "You're a rule breaker, Dad." Sheesh, Todd. ;)
So, I've been thinking a lot about what consumes my emotional energy... and my physical time...
It's so interesting to stop and think about what really matters in life. My days are consumed with to-do lists. And my worries are, no doubt, very different than many in our world.
I worry about sports class signups, getting homework done, when I'm going to make it to the grocery store, writing pitches, drafting press releases, scheduling interviews, making phone calls, fitting in baths, where we're going to live when we're done, cleaning my dirty floor, frustrated over filthy bathrooms, overwhelmed with laundry. Really? Overwhelmed with laundry? That's it?
Sure, the issues are bigger at times. Life is sometimes truly hard in my little sphere. It's hard to have a husband gone a lot. To have three little balls of energy running around. It's hard to be needed day-in and day-out by three little ones. To never be off duty. It's a challenge to segment my mind - to segment my time - and to work for a client on constant and revolving deadlines.
But is it hard to the point where I am emotionally stunted? To the point where my point of view becomes so narrow as to shut out so many bigger issues? To the point where my days become focused on the little things that seem to matter but really don't? Where is my devotion to God and to humanity in all of this?
I have a loving husband and three young boys who need me. I get that. I want that. I'm not thinking I should take off to some far away country and save the world. It just seems I can spend my energies more wisely. I can channel my teaching moments to rear responsible, knowledgeable, world-conscious children who think outside of their spheres, outside of their comforts.
I get worked up over the littlest things - many of which are out of my control. But what really matters? What deserves my emotional attention? What deserves my time?
I can't stop thinking of this...
And my only step forward is realigning my train of thought each day to address the priorities I seek in life. To put God first. Always. And to do my best in gratefully thriving in the moment.
Does this make any sense?
What are your thoughts on living a meaningful life?

1 comment:
Yes, I ponder on these things often. Just one thought. Our Bishop gave our congregation a list of things to focus on in life to bring us closer to Christ. The list has items such as family home evening, personal and family prayer, personal and family scripture study, service, temple attendance, etc. The other day in a pondering moment I thought to myself..."there isn't one on the list that says, 'make sure you have a really great chore chart,' OR 'make sure your daughter is in the best dance class'." You know what I mean? Those things don't really matter in the end. Not that we can't work to use them in a way that benefits our families, but we can't let them be a source of stress or contention. I want to focus on the things that will bring a lot of LOVE into our home. So that our home will truly be a place of refuge when my children feel defeated by the world. That's my focus right now....often that may mean throwing the chart out the window, canceling playdates, ignoring my to-do list and just being together....I hope I'm getting better at it......
Post a Comment