Sunday, July 09, 2006

Redwoods, White and Blue


We took advantage of a rare day off for Jenny on Monday by heading across the Golden Gate and visiting the redwoods at Muir Woods National Forest. It was a fun little stroll (it officially cannot be referred to as a hike unless there is some type of incline, which there was not) along the park trails. We were there just long enough for Jen to be awarded 'Hottest Park Patron of 2006'. Can you believe it, 2006 isn't even over yet and my nine month pregnant wife is garnering all these awards and recognition... amazing. Of course we cannot go within a 15 mile radius of a Babies 'R Us without stopping and spending at least 2 hours looking at things we have already bought and baby girl clothes which we do not need (I am not sure where this rule came from but it surely exists. I would object and appeal to the democratic process in our family, but Jenny claims that because she is carrying the baby she has power to vote on his behalf. They always gang up on me and win 2 votes to 1. There is no point, Democracy sucks.)


Anyways, fourth of July eve was a grand celebration. For the Fourth we met some friends at Ghiradelli Square and watched the fireworks over the bay. We were joined by Jenny's cousin, Chris Wise, and his wife, Sarah, and their baby girl, Maddison, who are doing an internship this summer in the South Bay. The fireworks were impressive - the weather ended up being really clear so there were actually fireworks and not just colored fog. That was nice. Call me 'non-Patriotic', but I still feel that fireworks are a waste of taxpayers money and that they scare more children than they entertain. That money could well be used for a 'Heterosexual Pride' Parade. Thats just me though.



So we have witnessed the end of an Era, an Era that I quite enjoyed. Yes, Jenny retired this Friday from her job and from her role as bread-winner in the family. The Era of the Sugar-Momma has officially come to a close and my feelings are mixed about this change. On one hand it will most likely symbolize an end to the Sunday night 'please don't make me go' pleas. This will be a welcomed change. On the other hand we officially descend into the ranks of the destitute starving-student social class. Not so sure how I will receive this change, but we will make the best of it.

We are a week away from the arrival of Todd Jr. and recent events indicate that it could be sooner than that (although it could be later, so don't get too giddy). I started to think about our stay in the hospital. At first I was worried that there would be too much to stress about... does the baby have ten toes and ten fingers? Why is he crying? Why isn't he crying? Why is Jenny crying? What on earth is going on? etc. But then I realized, we are in a pretty nice hospital,a hospital that probably pays for cable... and that means that I will be reunited with my dear ESPN after a year-long hiatus. That was all it took to relieve my fears. Wish us luck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Jenny! Hooray for her being done with work and for being 9 months pregnant. Jen, you are amazing. I can't believe the big day is almost here. It went by so fast for me, how about you? Todd, I always enjoy your blogs, keep them coming. And if you can pry yourself away from Sports Center for 30 seconds, we would love to get a phone call when the baby comes. Good luck guys!

Anonymous said...

T Fizzle--hey, we have the same initizzles!

Congratulations on yet another well written blog entry. I would be lying if I didn't admit that you are my main competition in the running for "most entertaining blogger of the year." I am hoping that with the arrival of Todd 2.0, you will be distracted with dirty diapers and baby talk enough to allow me to claim the prize.

By the way, your disdain for fireworks does make you non-patriotic, but since you are a Canuck and celebrate your "Canadian Independence Day" (independence from what?) on July 1st, that minor indiscretion can be overlooked.

Emily said...

Did you see my entry about the moustache? I need some feedback here. Take a look.

Nate