Sunday, October 29, 2006

Oktoberfest

Where to begin?! It has been a crazy few weeks here at Camp Fairbanks and although that is not a legitimate excuse to keep the world of blog on hold... we will use it anyways. School is now in full swing for me, the Boss has started to do some work out of the house, and the Champ is making a push to become the number one heavyweight contender by next year. So, in order to include all relevant information from the past few weeks, we will rock this in bullet format...

- We start with the champ who has suddenly gained motor control over his hands and is no longer haphazardly placing fist in mouth, but doing it in graceful co-ordinated movements. Unfortunately, at three and a half months he is yet to catch a football.


-Jenny decided to put her culinary talents on display for this years Canadian Thanksgiving Blowout- unfortunately the turkey didn't comply and was looked as pink as an American tourist in Mexico by dinnertime. Four hours later, the turkey was finally done but the guests were long gone. To make matters worse, I hate leftovers and we had a whole turkey's worth this year so Jenny has had to come up with clever ideas to trick me into eating turkey these past two weeks. One post-partum treat they forget to tell you about is that their hair starts falling out. Jenny's hair is literally everywhere: on the floor, shower wall, in the sink, in Ryder's fat rolls, and in my casserole. Someone needs to let the world know.

-School has been busy... we had our UCSF School of Dentistry research day where I gave an oral presentation and presented a poster for the project I have been working on. It went well, and it is very nice to have out of the way. We are taking a course this quarter on giving local anesthesia injections... a course containing both a lecture and a practical component. They told us fear of the dentist, specifically of shots ranks third in a recent poll of peoples top fears. We were supposed to give one injection into what is known as the interdental papilla. Protocol has you inserting the needle about halfway through the papilla and depositing the anesthetic solution. Well, things don't always go as planned and my partner for the exercise (another student) mumbled something about her tongue that I didn't really understand until I realized that I had gone all the way through her papilla and was freely squirting my solution onto her tongue. Woops. I guess thats why we practice on each other first.

-Halloween is here and Ryder was a skunk for the ward party and Jenny and I were lame-O's that didn't dress up. Jenny spent the second half of last week preparing decorations for a door in the basement of the church that the kids came to for the the trick or treat portion of the party.
We carved pumpkins and you probably can't guess which one was mine. The night we carved them I went outside to blow the candles out when I was almost brutally attacked by a creature of the night. This raccoon must have been 40lbs with razor sharp claws and harboring the deadly rabies virus and a myriad of venereal diseases (dirty creatures). Well, I had a family to protect and stood my ground... I even live to tell about it with photo-proof of the little devil stalking outside our door. Is it any wonder Ryder already sees me as a hero?

3 comments:

mama bear said...

well, I am certainly glad you survived the racoon (T) and a raw turkey (J)! And of course, Ryder is as cute as ever! I bet he could have taken on the racoon in that costume! we're sad we missed the ward party this year, heard it was great!

Emily said...

You know I warned you Todd. When I took your xrays for board screenings I told you about losing hair, nails, and hormones after the baby is born.

Nate

Anonymous said...

Jenny, don't feel bad about the turkey. Whenever I cook a turkey I set of the smoke alarm. Maybe this year will be better.