Tuesday, May 05, 2009

long time coming



To kick off my renewed dedication to blogging, I bring you a family update... I promise to be better. To post more often. And maybe even write about something interesting. So, without further ado...

Today, we'll start off with the youngest of the clan - Cannon.


To Ryder, he is also known as "Canny-Can-Can," "Chubby Brother," "Canny-bam-bam," or "brother-brother." Cute, huh? I have to say, the joy I feel while watching Ryder interact with his baby brother is indescribable. He is so kind, usually gentle and very loving. His intentions are always good. (It's a good thing I'm recording this here... I'm sure it will bring me comfort a few years down the road when they have their not-so-good moments.)


Anyway, back to Cannon. Our little Can-Can will be 9 months old in just a few days. At his six month appointment (yes, I know... almost three months ago... so stay tuned for stats from his 9-month checkup), Cannon fell in the 93 percentile for weight (20 lbs 11oz) and the 99 percentile for height (29 inches). That's one hefty kid!

Cannon is right on track developmentally. Well, I should say he was right on track. Todd thinks he's fallen behind. The reason? Cannon hasn't started crawling all over the place yet. I have to say, I am partly to blame. I pushed Ryder to every milestone (he started crawling at 7 months) - and with Cannon, I've kind of just sat back and watched - hoping he'd stay a baby for just a little longer... maybe for just another year... or two. That's not too much to ask for, is it?

Well, it didn't work. Over the past three months my little baby has transformed.



Here's what he's been up to these past few months...

He got his first two teeth! He was a bit feverish and had a constant runny nose, but overall he handled the newcomers pretty well. Take a close look and you may be able to see them in there...


He's finally taken to baby food. Our initial efforts around 6 months of age were very unwelcome, as you can see....


But a month or so later, he was ready to eat everything he could get his little fingers on. He's even discovered the wonders of an opposable thumb.


He's found his knees and gained an appreciation for rocking back and forth on all fours as fast as possible.... and then when he gets frustrated he centers on his over-sized tummy with flailing arms and legs. Kind of funny to watch.



He's a steady sitter! He's even learned how to get to the sitting position by himself. This shot was taken shortly after laying him down for bed one night.... I went back in to see what all of the noise was about and found him like this. Sly little guy!


He's fallen even more in love with swings. Yes, he loves, loves, LOVES to swing. He is sure to be our adventurous little guy. Ryder is quite the opposite... he's never been very fond of swings and approaches anything new with great caution. Like he (he being Ryder) found a pen and an open spiral book on the desk today and first asked if he was allowed to write on those pages. He's two years old. What two year old asks first?! I'm not complaining by any means. Just wondering. Okay... back to Cannon....


He's learned he can reach, scoot, roll, and maybe even manage a tiny hop while on all fours to get his grubby little hands on anything on the floor. Luckily he hasn't started pulling himself up to things yet.... I'm not quite ready for that one. Maybe he'll hold out until after the move. That would be nice.


He's been thrown into a world of highchairs and shopping cart seats... making going out to eat and grocery shopping a bit easier for me!


And he's even managed to make a few new friends....


A sippy cup!,


cousin Tyler and...


a stuffed dog currently named 'dog.' We're creative, I know.


He discovered sand.... and at first he wasn't so sure what to think.



And then he learned to LOVE sand.... shoveling as much as he could into his little, tiny mouth.


And then he remembered he hates it. Cannon and sand have a love/hate relationship going on.


And just last night, we caught this on video:



Yes, Todd no longer has to worry. Cannon officially started crawling yesterday... just before family home evening (or 'home family feevening,' as Ryder would call it). Our lesson had to wait while I took multiple videos and pictures. Here's the little guy happy as could be as we all applauded his recent victory:


As for everything else (I know, as if there could be anything else... this post is getting long!.. are you still with me?) - Cannon is doing great! He's eating everything I give him, except for green vegies. He recently changed his mind and decided he hates peas and beans. Can you blame him? He's sleeping through the night - going to bed at 7pm and waking up around 6:30am. And he's a great napper, with an hour in the morning and about two hours in the afternoon. (Thanks, Healthy Sleep Habits!)


He's constantly giggling, cooing and smiling... although he doesn't like playing by himself very much. He'll squawk anytime someone walks by without stopping to pay notice to him. And he's saying 'da da da da da' and 'ma ma ma ma' and yelling out happy screams all over the place. Next to crawling, our latest accomplishment is signing "all done".... now he doesn't have to seal his lips and grunt at me when he doesn't want anymore food! Yay! Now if i could just get him to start signing milk, more, food and sleep life would be a lot easier for me. We'll just keep working on those.




And, he's our micro-cuddler. He'll lean in and snuggle with you for about two seconds, and then he pushes away and is ready for the day's next activity. And hooray for us - he no longer cares for the pacifier! Yay! He is a thumb sucker though. Yikes. He takes after his mother on that one.

Life with two is definitely different. It's harder in some ways. But all of the good definitely overshadows those few rough spots. I can't imagine our little family without Canny. He brings such a loving, gentle spirit into our home.

We love you Cannon!

Post Script:

Here's a list of Cannon's recent favorites:

1. His thumb.

2. Ryder. He tries to grab him any chance he can. They laugh and giggle together all the time.

3. Books, books and more books. Especially an Easter book Grandma gave him. He just can't stop laughing while looking at that silly book!

4. Putting things in his mouth.... everything goes directly to the mouth.

5. Gerber's Graduate cheese puffs. They're actually really nasty, but he loves them!

6. Cheerios and any other little finger foods.

7. The bath.... kicking, waving and splashing is always a treat!

8. Falling asleep on my shoulder as I sing to him. Ohhh, that's one of my favorites too!

9. Todd/Daddy - he can always get a smile out of little Cannon. They are best buds!

10. Anything but his own toys, including but not limited to: the remote control, cell phones, electrical cords, combs, toothbrushes, big-people spoons, iPods - get the idea?

11. Swings, as mentioned already.

12. Blow fishies - and Ryder loves to give them!

13. Tickles.... Little Canny is very ticklish!

6 comments:

acte gratuit said...

He is magically chunk-a-licious!!! What a cutie!!!

Diana Hulme said...

What a great post! Cannon is so cute. And, by the way, your photography is already pretty amazing! Good work! :)

Lisa and Mark said...

i can definitely see that you're making use of the new camera. :)

Tyler and Rachael said...

definitely a cutie! i'll be in merced for 3 weeks...it sounds like we overlap a bit (my mom talking to your mom)--so hopefully hopefully we can hang out for a bit, even just a walk or something...

Mikey, Randi, and Gracie said...

Love him! Oh my goodness. He is so stinkin cute. And I'm jealous that everyone's babies are so mobile! Gracie can't figure out how to lift her chubby belly off the floor! She gets so frustrated. Poor thing. I'm so excited for our kids to be friends when they're older...or maybe if we move to Washington (which we're hoping to do in 2010). Yahoo for your cute family, Jen!

Owens D.C. said...

Good to have you back on board with the blogging :) He is really so adorable, they look so much alike. I'm curious as to what one of your girls would look like :) Gorgeous no doubt!