Wednesday, July 08, 2009

dad's retirement shindig


I already posted about our trip home to Merced a few weeks ago... Remember this post?.... the one about all of my crying because I didn't know when I was going to be home again? Yes, that one. Well, at that time I hadn't yet received pictures of the main event from my sister. So, here ya go!

My siblings and I (seven children + seven spouses) threw my father a retirement party to honor all of his many years of hard work and dedication. We each managed a different element of the event, and it sure came together beautifully... if I do say so myself!

(Pic from Diana's blog.)

I was in charge of the invitations, so I enlisted the help of an expert.... my good friend Diana. They were perfect. She is amazing, I tell ya! Thanks again for all of your help, Diana!!

We had a fabulous time honoring my father and his 35+ years of oral and maxillofacial surgery. He built his practice from the ground up. Not many people do that anymore.


There was a lot of yummy food!

My personal favorite was the smoothie bar. Cannon, on the other hand, didn't quite know what to think of it!

My father was one of the first cranial facial surgeons in the area. I can clearly recall sitting as a little girl at the bar tapping the wall beside my feet and eating my breakfast while dad strolled in from a night at the hospital.... just to shower, change clothes and then head to the office for a day of clinical work.

Dad didn't want us to make a fuss over him. So it was a good thing WE were throwing the party and not him. Some family from nearby dropped in for the evening.

Grandma Horne, Aunt Kathy, Uncle Bryant and Uncle Leon.


A lot of close friends were able to come too... Some even agreed to say a few words.


And two very special people flew in from Washington for the night. Lucky for Todd and I, we now live only a half hour away from them!

Dad sure had the best office manager!

And the best office staff!

My dad is well-admired in the community -- the number of family, friends, colleagues, staff and associates present that night was definitely proof of that. He is an amazing man. He is so selfless and considerate. I can still remember driving home from away water polo and basketball games (which he always found time to attend) and reading his patients' phone numbers to him so he could personally call and see how they were doing. He did this nearly every day he was in the office.

While saying a few thank yous, my father honored my mother and had my niece bring up a gift for her. A girl can never have enough pearls! ;)


In high school I worked at his office during the summer months. The first year I did filing and insurance claims.... and the last three I assisted in the back. Wow. You learn a lot about your father when you work alongside him. One thing that stood out to me was his work ethic (also evidenced in his time at home and at church)... but in the office, dad liked his days busy. He'd pack the patients back-to-back-to-back. He'd rearrange his schedule to see a pediatric patient before regular business hours so the patient wouldn't have to go without food throughout the day (so she could get the anaesthesia). He would see patients through lunch if he had to (much to the staff's dismay). He would gladly accept a patient in distress from a referring dentist's office at 4:30pm. He took patients with government assistance.... very, very few oral surgeons do that in the area anymore. He's just a kind, hard working man. And he's my father.

Thanks for putting up with us and all of the fanfare!

All seven children were there... and a few of the in-laws. Todd, unfortunately, had to take the Western Regional Boards Exam that same weekend back in San Francisco.



The day of the party happened to also be Dad's 66th birthday. Mom surprised him with a fun new camera!

Congratulations (and happy birthday), dad. Thanks for all of your love, support and unwavering example of all that is good. I love you.

6 comments:

Cami said...

Jen, I also love your dad and your mom and your whole family!! I totally remember driving in the car with your dad while he made his phone calls. I will never forget that. I'm so bummed your parents are moving away from Merced. Last weekend my dad and I were joking that maybe they will call your dad to be the stake president. Tom Weed's time is probably going to be up pretty soon!.
Cami

Anonymous said...

the party looks like it turned out so great! i didn't realize thats what your dad did! so, did he go surgeries like the one levi is getting ready to have?
hope you guys are liking seattle!

Anonymous said...

oops! so maybe i'm confused! i just re read it and saw that he is an oral surgeon. but it also said cranial facial which i thought was the kind of doc that was doing levi's surgery. anyways...:)

Anjanette said...

What a party! ...and maybe it's because I'm nursing & always so hungry, but that food looks divine! Your dad is an amazing man. He deserves every ounce of praise that he received & let's be real your mom deserved those pearls (nope, never can have too many).

ps I just read Cami's comment. Your parents are leaving Merced? That is too weird. I remember you talking about it in high school & it seemed so far away. Where has the time gone???

Diana Hulme said...

For some reason I starred this post in google reader and am just now looking at it! It looks like the party turned out GREAT! How fun. Your dad sounds wonderful. And thanks for letting me help. :)

Camille said...

Wow! I'm so glad you were able to honor your dad in that way. Thank you so much for being my friend when I moved to Merced. Even I have learned things from your dad that I will never forget. I can't believe they are moving away from Merced! We should keep having events that take us back there. It's always home.

Also - the Seattle friend is my Grandpa Rey McCombs' son Ronnie! What a small world. What is the connection to your dad?

Also - your mother is absolutely beautiful.