Tuesday, February 09, 2010

H1N1 and a bag of bread


Todd is amazing. He does SO much around the house to help me. But with me working, the kids getting busier, Todd's long hours, and me going insane, lately I've just needed more help when he is home. So last night I brought up the "I need some more help around the house" discussion with Todd. I think he was starting to feel a bit sorry for me, as we talked about the craziness of life - but then I said, "Oh, things could be worse." And we started laughing as we reminisced to what life was like just a few months ago when I was practically dead on the couch...

You see, swine flu came through our family not too long ago. The little boys got it first and had a rough couple of weeks, but they survived. Then I got it, and life was miserable. It set in over a weekend without call, and it was nice to have Todd home so I could just sleep.

But when Monday rolled around, I still could barely move - at all - like dead on the couch all day and all night. Todd, being the incredibly thoughtful husband that he is, had already made breakfast and lunch for the boys, so I just dished up their food and let them fend for themselves as I drifted in and out of consciousness. We watched a lot of tv that day.

Then came Tuesday.... I was still just so sick. Literally could barely move. I still couldn't carry Cannon, so we just stayed on the main floor for the day. Unfortunately, Todd was out the door ultra early that morning and didn't have time to do breakfast again. So as I came downstairs I almost started to cry as I couldn't even begin to imagine how I was going to feed my little guys..... That's when I grabbed a loaf of bread, collapsed on the couch, turned on the tv and handed each of the kids a slice of bread. At least they wouldn't starve to death.

About a half hour later, I woke up to Ryder standing before me and talking in a somber voice...

"Mom, can I have another piece of bread please?"

I didn't laugh at the time. I just handed him a piece and my eyes rolled back into my head. But we've laughed a lot about it since then.

So, yes, things could be worse. My son could be begging me for a slice of bread as I lay dying on the couch.

Life really isn't so bad after all.

5 comments:

Wiseguys said...

oh man, I've totally been there. There is NOTHING worse than being sick and having to take care of the kids alone!

Joy Elizabeth Jackson said...

That is so funny! Luckily I've avoided being really sick...knock on wood. But that story really is so good. Just made my day.:)

Anjanette said...

haha.
you're a good mommy (even when you are sick).

Lindsay said...

Hey, I got your Christmas card in the mail last week. So cute! Your family is beautiful. I like seeing what your boys are up to so I can know what's in store for me down the road! :)

Maria said...

I love the pictures of the boys playing with bubbles. The red color of Cannon's sweater is so bright and cheery. I will help you break in your new jogger when you get one!! My jogger has had little use this winter.