Friday, June 03, 2011

Friday's {Unloaded}

 
Because I love you and I love this guy and I have to show the world his darling new little tooth and since I simply can't get enough of his kisses and laughter, I thought I'd start out with my latest favorite picture. But don't you worry - I have about 3 dozen more somewhat similar photos to this... but each little expression varies and is so precious to me. I'll get around to posting more of them soon.

So, you've missed me, haven't you? We've been a bit busy - as I'm sure most of you have been. In fact, you probably haven't even noticed my lack of Friday posts (or any posts, for that matter). But I'm back today... more out of a need for a release and a quick favorite pastime than a lack of other things to do, that's for sure. But I'm here, nonetheless.

What have we been up to?

Three weekends ago we made a quick trip down to Portland to attempt to find temporary housing for our summer move. Did you know very few places will rent to you for just four months?

Oh, you didn't know we were moving? Yes, we are. But not for long. Todd has a four month head and neck rotation down in Portland, so we're up and moving for a while. The little boys and I will be back early for Ryder's big first day of "real" school (is kindergarten considered legit school?)

Around our apartment hunting adventures, we enjoyed swimming at the hotel with our dear friends, the Malans. We've missed them these past few months as they've been taking their turn in Portland. And we will miss them even more when they head off to Japan next month!

We also met up with our dear UCSF pals, the Wilkinsons. Isn't it great connecting with old friends? Friends who share a section of your life? I just loved reminiscing and catching up and being filled with their goodness! Lanie is so inspiring!... and I can't wait to be her best friend this summer... whether she's ready for a bf or not. :)

Two weekends ago I threw a shower for a dear, dear friend. She has to be one of the most kind and thoughtful people around... and she's having a baby girl!!! Yay!

About an hour (or maybe two) after said baby shower, the fam and I hopped in the car and drove over to lovely McCall, Idaho. We spent a fabulous week with five of the most fabulous people alive. Really. Jen and Ben and their darling three little ones are so, so fun. We played at their cabin and tried to enjoy the random mix of sun/rain/snow.

We four wheeled, paddle boarded (although due to wind, I personally never did attempt :( , watched movies, built fires, the big boys (aka men) were their silly selves and attempted to walk across hot coals for an hour or two, bocce ball, LOTS of barbequing, games (yes, I even played games! Can you believe it?!), lots of food (the bad-for-you-yet-so-yummy kind), late night talking (which I learned my body can't handle multiple 2am nights anymore), bike/scooter riding, and more.

Work. Wow. My first two weeks were a bit slow, due to the logistics of account setup - scheduling initial calls, product briefings/research, receiving my laptop, account/email access, etc, etc. But after those two weeks, there has been no rest around here. Zero rest.

At startup last month, we had on schedule a media tour for mid-to-late July. But that's been moved. Moved to June. June 27 is launch date. Tour is June 20-24. I know this means nothing to most of you. Even my mother still doesn't understand what I do. But a full national, in person media tour in less than four weeks = I'm tired.

The boys are doing great. Todd started his rotation at the ED this week, and what a change that has been for him! He was on anesthesia previously. Think - sitting at the head of a bed adjusting meds all day so sleepy people's hearts don't do anything funny and then getting off at about 3pm every other day. Now, he's on his feet for 14 hours a day and has endless paperwork.... not to mention the insanely sad and gross things he's seeing. I wish I could tell you some of his stories already (and he's only been on TWO days thus far), but I don't think they're appropriate for the written word. You can ask me in person, if you're dying for some good entertainment.

Does anyone else just LOVE the Tangled soundtrack?! We have regular evening dance parties around here, all the while belting the lyrics. Cannon sings "I've Got a Dream" at the top of his lungs down the isles of the grocery store, in the car, during his bath, as he's coloring and any other time he so chooses. And he makes the most hilarious faces to go along with the words. I must capture him on film.

Most people drink coffee in the early AM to wake themselves up. My guilty pleasure at 5:30am as I'm booting up my computer? A large glass of orange juice. Yum!

Back to the boys - they are so, so funny. A few weeks back Todd was home early from work and took the older two with a friend on a bug excavation adventure. As they were walking down around the ponds near our house, Todd overheard Ryder's convo with his buddy "These are the best days, aren't they Henry!? This is my favorite. When we get to play and my dad gets home and takes us for bug walks. I love it! I love when my dad comes home and plays with us. Because when my dad's at work, I stay home with my mom and she just relaxes."

WHAT? What does that kid think I do all day? My only comfort is knowing that he's enjoying his childhood and oblivious to the responsibilities of adulthood. Relaxing, my foot. What a silly boy. Oh, how I love him.

This won't be very funny to any of you, but it's absolutely hilarious to Todd and I, so I must record it. As the boys were on one of their regular excavation walks (this time for dinosaur bones), Cannon said in his matter of fact, low, chubby voice, "Oh, there's a dog.... they're sneaky just like ninjas." And then he just moved on with his evening. This kid is so funny! Is it bad that we delight in his roundness? I promise he does eat mostly healthy things and in moderation.

Some girlfriends from my growing up years and I have been emailing a bit lately, and oh how I love it! I love that we can candidly email one liners or lengthy novels and just be real with each other. I love knowing bits and pieces of the details of their current lives. I love that they trust me with their heartaches and their joys. I love how they inspire me to be better. I would love to live next door to all of them, but then I guess this emailing wouldn't be so precious. I'll take it and enjoy it while I can.

I'm about ready to embrace texting. Many of you know (especially Maria) that I'm not huge on the texting front. I'm not against it. I just haven't embraced it. I often miss texts and forget to even check them after I hear the beep. I'm slow. I don't have a text-friendly phone. My phone is slow (think - replacement prepaid phone from Target). But I'm beginning to realize the reality of life and how texting can be my friend. I (and most of my girlfriends) don't have time for an hour+ phone conversation. But the sometimes frequent, sometimes random texts back and forth with a friend enables me a way to connect while still being in life with my boys.

Wow, this is getting long. Todd has the day off today. It's 5:30am. I'm supposed to be working... and I'm typing this. I'm going shopping later. I'm in need of some business clothes. And there's something about my 2004 black suit that just doesn't sit right in 2011. That thing must go. Luckily, it doesn't even fit me anymore. Doesn't fit me in a good way, that is.

Oh, did I mention I'm traveling for work soon? Hence the need for new clothes. I haven't traveled for media briefings since I was 7 months pregnant with Ryder. I almost threw up in the towncar between meetings in New York. Hopefully I'll fare better through this upcoming round.

Happy Friday to all! It's supposed to be 70+ and sunny here through Sunday. YAY!!!!

The end.

7 comments:

Matt said...

In-person media tour sounds grueling, but with a new outfit, I'm sure you can handle it.

What company are you working for?

Mostly Them said...

Jenny - I love your ramblings.. it so reminds me of our talks.. and how you would jump from one thing to the next! it makes me miss you!

Gruwells said...

That's a lot of fabulous people you referred to! I'm glad, but may I remind you that I was supposed to be one of those trips?!?!?! :) Just think, I could have been part of that list of fabulous people too! I want to kiss and cuddle those nephews of mine.......love you. you'll knock 'em dead in June.

Owens D.C. said...

Yes, you are missed. You are super busy. I wish a stint back in D.C. was in your future....need you to get me in shape. Love how you love your boys so much and think they would have a blast with my girls. Keep up the posting because even though it's far and few in between comments....the make my day! Muah!

Jenny said...

Hey Debi - it looks like I'll be in DC for a day at the end of the month for the tour. I'll definitely get in touch if I have the time to get together. I would love to see you!

Anjanette said...

Girl! What are you doing up at 5:30am?!? Yowza! THAT is early! You are amazing.

Maria said...

So I am starting to give up on our weather man. If it gets up to 70 and if the sun shows itself then I will believe it. And if it does lets go swimming!