
Okay, So Jenny is the cutest pregnant woman ever-- hands down. (Prefacing my entry with that you might have a sense of what is to come.) And so far, she has been able to escape the roller-coaster/whirlwind of emotions that seems to plague pregnant women and confuse husbands all over the world. That all kind of changed last weekend...
Jenny asked me what I wanted to do on the weekend. I had a BIG exam coming up and told her that regrettably, my weekend would be spent with my nose in a book. We decided that I could study just as well in Merced, and since Jenny's 18 month-old nephew Jake was in Merced (abandoned by his vacationing parents) Jenny could have some entertainment while I was studying.
I woke up early Saturday morning and locked myself in Jenny's old room and got into a rather nice studying groove. I was humming through my notes when I heard someone coming down the hall. The door cracked open and Jenny poked her head in. Right away I could tell that something was up. She just had that, Whatever-you-say-it-won't-help-keep -me-from-crying look on her face. Oh Dear. "What's wrong?" I asked- not quite sure I wanted to know the answer. "I'm Okay." She said it in a plain and obvious way that even a Fairbanks man could read between the lines and see that in this instance, by saying she was okay, she really meant that she was not okay and I was to proceed with more probing questions. Arggh. "Are you sure" I asked. That did it. The flood gates opened and big alligator tears started pouring out. She hadn't sobbed like this since our honeymoon (another story) I immediately started recounting in my mind all that I had done in the past day>week>month>year>life and came to the conclusion that I was to blame for this outburst. "What's wrong honey?" It took her a while, but she was able to pull herself together and audiblize something that vaguely resembled the English language. "What?" I asked. She was able to hold off the sniffles and tears long enough to blurt out, "Jacob is being mean!" Jacob? The cute little runny-nosed runt? The one who is obsessed with Barney (MYA), crasins and goldfish crackers? "Jacob is being mean to you?" I repeated... the tone in my voice hinting that grown women should not be insulted by babies. "Yeah, I wanted to play with him but he wouldn't come to me and then he hit me with mom's blow dryer." Oh. He hit you. That could be the reason that you are crying-right?-because you are hurt. Oh wait- He can barely hold up the blow dryer let alone swing it with a velocity capable of injuring a grown woman! She sensed it in my eyes. The sobbing turned to hysterical laughter. The disbelief on my face turned up another notch. Nobody warned me. What was wrong with her? Was she broken? And if so, How do you fix this? Wow. We spent the next 15 minutes laughing. I think that Jenny realized how ridiculous this was to me- and I found myself relating to why Jenny reacted how she did. Oh wait, no I didn't.
Anyways, I had a little talk with Jacob and he promised to be nice. Oh, and Jenny is still the cutest pregnant woman ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment