Thursday, January 06, 2011

my littles

...don't seem very little anymore.


Ryder.... July 16, 2006

I'm emotionally overwhelmed today. When I feel a rush of emotion like this, I have the urge to write. To get it all out. That's why I'm here today. On blogger.

My little boys are sleeping. Hudson is 3 months. Cannon is 2 1/2 years. Ryder is 4 1/2 years old. What has happened to my little boys? I know, technically they're still little. But, not really. Not to me.

I have to admit, I haven't been the greatest mom these past six months. I don't feel like I've failed them. I just feel like I used to be better. I've been a bit edgy and impatient most days. But today I realized (again) to just chill out and enjoy the ride. My little boys are growing and changing every day.

Does it sound a bit cheesy? Yes.

Cliche? Definitely.

But the feeling is real to me. Very real. And so intense. I have this urge to never let them grow up... to somehow keep them "my littles."

I want to hold on to all of the feelings and daily experiences. I want to remember Ryder's little voice calling my name in the early morning hours as he tries to wake me up. I want to remember how miniature they look in their big bunk beds. I want to remember what it feels like to run my fingers through their hair as I sing them a song goodnight. I always want to feel like Todd and I are the most important people in their lives.

I love their expressions as they spot me in a crowded grocery store or church hallway... like they just spotted the gold at the end of a rainbow. I want to remember how it feels to have their arms wrapped tight around my neck. I want to remember their little voices singing dino ABCs at the top of their lungs... even if it is, literally, for the hundredth time.

I want to remember the baby smells. I can live without the big boy odors.... but their little baby scents melt my heart and make me want to hold on and never let go. I want to always feel their little fingers in my palm. I want to remember how it feels to have Cannon beg me to cuddle with him... or to "hold you!?"

I don't want to see their hearts break or for them to ever get lost.... physically, emotionally, or spiritually. I don't want to be uncool in their eyes. I don't want them to ever think they hate me. I don't want to see them torn down and defeated. I don't want to see them lose.

I don't want their lives to get complicated.

I shutter to think that most everything I know as daily life now will one day be gone.

Today I'm grateful to be a mother.... a mother of young, sweet boys. Bring on the dirty diapers, endless laundry, muddy tracks across my floor, dead bugs, a full dishwasher alongside a sink of dishes, loud voices and bottomless tummies. I'm even willing to welcome the tantrums, quarrellings and sassy words. Because how innocent those downfalls are at this point.

I want life to stay simple.

Is that too much to ask?

When I make more sense of this all, I'll be back with some pics of Cannon. For now, here's a snapshot of Ryder's life.


Ryder as a newborn


Ryder 1 week old


Ryder 2 weeks old


Ryder's blessing day in San Francisco.... 1 month old


Ryder 2 months old... hanging out at home in SF


Ryder 3 months old


Ryder 3 1/2 months old




Ryder 6 months old playing at home with crazy hair




Ryder 8 months old - on a walk with mom and friends near Crissy Field



Ryder 11 months old - with Grandpa and fam at a Giants game


Ryder 1 year old - exploring in Grandma and Grandpa's front yard


Ryder 1 year old at the beach in Sausalito


1 1/2 years old - playing in Golden Gate Park's Children's Playground


2 years old - with his beloved in Monterey


 2 1/2 years old in Golden Gate Park. {sigh}


 3 years old on the banks of Lake Washington near UW... just after we moved


 3 1/2 years old.... coloring with dad after church


3 1/2 after a hair cut


 4 years old - this summer at the Hansen family reunion... enjoying Park City.


 And now... 4 1/2 years old... giving high fives after knocking two pins down in Five-Pin Bowling (a Canadian thing...)

Where does time go?

5 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Jen I've had those same feelings. Maybe not exactly the same since you have more kids and two of them are older but I've felt that intense desire to shield them from all pain, knowing that as they grow older life will get harder. I never want Addi to feel the pain I've been through. So sorry you are feeling sad...love you!

carly said...

oh jenny. i could have written this exact post. i feel your pain. what sweet boys you have.:)

Ryan and Julene Stoianowski said...

I wish I could have written that same post, but you have always had a way of expressing feelings with words that I never had. Thank you so much for sharing that though, I needed that today...You have always been there to help me with my perspective...even if back then it was just on something silly like finals:) Lots of love!

Gruwells said...

Oh, how I know exactly what you mean.

Love you.

jhoopes said...

Sweet tribute to Ryder and to kids growing up way too fast.